Coronavirus

• 13 Replies

jezza

Coronavirus
« on: January 26, 2020, 13:54 »
Hello I hope this isn't going to be the next Chinese import that's going to be forced on us , I had to go to York on Friday  there was 40 Chinese students stood at the bus stop wearing face masks as if they're going to catch some thing if they're worried about catching coronavirus shouldn't the college's and universities be on lock down if it was foot and mouth there'd be movement restrictions  jezza

Goosegirl

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 14:15 »
As a retired scientist in Pathology what I find worrying is how this animal virus mutated into a deadly form that is now affecting human beings.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 14:27 »
As a retired scientist in Pathology what I find worrying is how this animal virus mutated into a deadly form that is now affecting human beings.

That’s what viruses do, GG .

Bird flu, swine flue, HIV and many more.  They all started out as animal infections.

The 1918 flu pandemic was originally a chicken disease that switched into pigs and then to humans.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 14:32 »

That’s what viruses do, GG .

Bird flu, swine flue, HIV and many more.  They all started out as animal infections.

The 1918 flu pandemic was originally a chicken disease that switched into pigs and then to humans.

Agree, the section of the genetic code that allows this family of virus' to infect their host is very similar in many species. Which means it only takes a "small" or easier mutation to be able to infect and jump species.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 17:31 »

All the scientists are saying it isn't as bad as the SARS virus was, fingers crossed..

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 19:19 »

All the scientists are saying it isn't as bad as the SARS virus was, fingers crossed..
Mortality rates are lower than SARS, but it's far more contagious, so it's potentially worse if the spread isn't contained. That said it's still not a patch on something like ebola.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 23:00 »
All one can do is be vigilant about hygiene.  I always keep my gloves on when I go out, and never touch buttons, escalators, money etc, with my hands.  Use my little handbag bottle of disinfectant, and thoroughly wash my hands frequently.    I also generally use one hand to hold a tissue over my nose if I am on the bus or somewhere that is people infested.      That's about all we can do really, and keep fingers crossed.   Take care. Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 08:56 »
Eldest has a box of tissues (harder to lose than a pocket packet) and a bottle of hand sanitiser in her bag and we have one in the kitchen by the door. Other kids have the bottles in a mesh bag attached to their school bags which is nifty.

Hygiene is the only way to fight these things.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 13:20 »
This got me thinking about an old Radio Lab episode I listened to a while ago about Typhoid, and if I am remembering correctly (probably not), then didn't typhoid start with moneys?
Ches

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 16:30 »
This got me thinking about an old Radio Lab episode I listened to a while ago about Typhoid, and if I am remembering correctly (probably not), then didn't typhoid start with moneys?

Don’t think so, only humans can contract it, but HIV probably came from chimps/monkeys.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 17:53 »
it just shows how quickly this virus has spread since it was first announced being a moderate outbreak now its a threat to all that may be in contact with those effected and although it seems the chines government is acting to keep this virus under control not yet knowing what actually has triggered this virus of

I'm not really interested in what's happened in the past with past viruses I'm more concerned how the worlds scientist's can work together to find a vaccine to holt this virus and save lives

and its nice to see our own government involved to monitor those entering the country from where the virus is said to have started and that could be a serious thing if it started up in the UK

and I totally agree with those replies from Mrs B Hygiene does play a very important part of our lives these days especially for us in our mature years very true what you said Mrs B

I contacted  a serious virus in 2018 don't know how I contracted it and I was told from the medical profession that they where not sure how this type of virus starts there are many ifs and butts and its a grey area  that is a bit concerning to me because it mite come back in the future

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 20:42 »
Much of the problems with these outbreaks of diseases, viruses, etc, are simply because the World is getting smaller, travel is now so easy, that these things are no longer contained like they used to be.  Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 11:46 »
Coins of whatever denomination are one of the ways typhoid and other bacteria can be transmitted. Virology wasn't my department but seem to remember they don't survive very long if they can't find another host. 

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 16:43 »
We have just been issued with the Flow chart for it at our practice, i think following on from the cases just annouced ???
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Coronavirus.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 20:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Coronavirus questions please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

27 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 19:02
by John
xx
Coronavirus now a pandemic

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 16:34
by Mr Dog
xx
coronavirus and its consequences

Started by jambop on Chatting on the Plot

99 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 14:30
by Growster...

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 50 queries.