Green Watery Chicken Poo

• 8 Replies

Geraldine

Green Watery Chicken Poo
« on: June 17, 2015, 15:04 »
One of my hens has not been herself for the last three days.    A few weeks ago she had a case of sour crop which cleared up after a few smelly days and she got back to her normal self.   Then on Sunday evening I noticed that she put herself away in the goat house rather than with the other hens so, to be on the safe side, I put her in a large crate in the porch.   When I picked her up I could feel that her stomach was very distended and felt bloated and she had a mucky bottom.   She ate her normal hen food plus her favourites of apple and carrot - so she obviously hadn't lost her appetite.

I thought she might be egg-bound so yesterday, a friend and I tried to make her more comfortable and cleaned her with warm water and lubricated her with some olive oil, hoping this might help her pass any blocked egg.  She then went back into the crate with more food and some electrolyte I had made  (half teaspoon salt and half teaspoon sugar in half-pint of water).  This morning there was no sign of any egg and all electrolyte was gone and she had also eaten quite a bit of apple and carrot and some layers pellets.  There was watery, green poo on the floor of the cage - it was dark green and looked like chewed grass but there was no particular smell.

Her stomach is still distended but she seems to be her usual happy self.   I'm beginning to think she is not egg-bound but may have clostridium perfringens - can anyone out there enlighten me as to what to do next?  My vets are not hugely enlightened about poultry and I've just paid them for a very hefty bill so if I do have to go to them I'd like to know roughly what to expect in advance.

Thanks for your help.

Helenaj

Re: Green Watery Chicken Poo
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 16:35 »
Hi Geraldine

Sorry to hear about your hen. I looked Clostridium Perfringens up on the net because I have never heard of it before and came across this very long discussion between professionals on the subject. I have included the link but it makes for very long reading but in essence they are advocating the use of probiotics as a treatment instead of antibiotics. It may be worth a try:

http://www.researchgate.net/post/Which_is_better_to_control_Clostridium_perfringens_in_chicken_acidifier_phytobiotics_or_probiotics

Geraldine

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 20:59 »
Thank you for replying so quickly - I read (but not necessarily understood!) the discussion you indicated.   I know other people have mentioned probiotics but, to be honest, the only probiotics I know are the yogurt ones advertised on the telly.   

Does anyone out there know which probiotics are suitable for hens and where I might buy them?

I will speak to my vet tomorrow and see what she comes up with.

Once again, thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 21:22 »
I'm no great expert on Clostridium perfringens either, but having a quick read around it seems antibiotics can be used to successfully treat it. 

As vet is your best chance of help, as the antibiotics will need to be prescribed by them before you can buy them. Personally I would rather get help now, while you have a chance of saving her, than delay while you investigate alternatives  :)

Geraldine

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 21:33 »
You're right - I will be speaking to her tomorrow but just wanted to be aware beforehand of any possible options because - as I am sure that many of us have discovered - not all vets are that clued up on poultry and to be honest, I'd like to sound as if I have some idea of what we might be talking about.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:50 »
You could try a little live natural yogurt. It is not ideal for hens but can help,in the short term. Also is your worming up to date?  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 23:18 »
I have fed mine couple of tea spoons of probiotic yoghurt mixed with layer pellets. Beryl was mad for it :D, Henrietta was also keen, but Sandy (soft shell) turned her nose up at it :(.( I think the competition put her off).  So I now plan to feed her individually to make sure she gets what she needs. Oyster shell and pellets are freely available so I think Sandy is having overheating problems and then getting out of balance. I need to correct this asap

I will also research how to get her calcium levels up, maybe a bit of my porridge in the morning :)
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Beekissed

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:43 »
Give her some feed soaked in buttermilk and get both benefits...calcium and also probiotics.   Wouldn't be a bad idea to look into fermenting feed for your flock as well...a cheap and wonderful way to increase natural, organic acid in the digestive tract, boost ordinary feed into a super feed and save on the feed bill. 

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Increases protein usage by 12%(according to scientific studies)
Changes proteins and sugars to a form easily digested and utilized by a monogastric animal~amino acids.
Less feed waste due to more utilized at the point of digestion and also from feeding a wet feed.
Less feed consumed due to total nutrients increased in the feed~resulting in a decrease of total feed costs by nearly half.
Intestinal health and culture increases, intestinal villi lengthen thus increasing total absorption area and blood flow to the intestines.
Increased immune system function.
Increased parasite resistance.
Increased yolk size/weight.
Increased rate of lay.
Increased feather quality and growth, increased rate of molt recovery.
Increased scale, beak quality due to increased nutrient uptake(some have reported correction of cross beak after using FF).
Less undigested matter in the feces~resulting in less nitrogen in manure, less smell of the fecal matter, less attractant for flies, less ammonia production as there is less break down needed of waste material.
Less water consumption due to feeding wet feeds.
Less incidence of pasty butt in young chicks, faster weight gains, faster feathering of young chicks as well.
Thicker egg shells.
Less feed waste to rodent predation.
No changes in winter warmth issues as core temps do not depend on rates of digestion of feed~no more than it does for any other animal or human.
Increased mild flavor of eggs, removal of sulfur or “eggy” flavor.
Increased mild flavor of meat, removal of “gamey” flavor.
Increased overall health and appearance noted and reported with continuous use of FF.
Prebiotics and probiotics available in feed increase resistance to disease/illnesses such as coccidia, e.coli, salmonella, flagella, etc.
No raw chicken stink.
Less inclination for dogs to eat the poo since the sugars and grains have already been pre-digested.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:45 by Beekissed »

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 13:31 »
This was quite an interesting thread on fermented feed on this site:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=114305.30

xx
Sad looking chicken with watery eye

Started by lou-b-lou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 11:36
by Chicken_Lover
xx
watery yellow chicken poop.

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 09:11
by New shoot
xx
Chicken sea of green?

Started by coop-de-tat on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 08:22
by nerdle
xx
Worried about green chicken manure

Started by hensjs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 13:58
by hensjs

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 41 queries.