What is the best gro-bag?

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

What is the best gro-bag?
« on: April 13, 2019, 14:05 »
I want to get two gro-bags but what is the best one irrespective of price?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Pescador

Re: What is the best gro-bag?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 15:32 »
I like the Westland Large Growbag, which is deeper than the standard ones. For tomatoes I plant into bottomless 15cm pots on top of bag, for extra depth.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 15:53 »
Ah that's useful because I got some tubs that you insert into a gro-bag to increase the depth of soil where you plant into the centre opt, attach canes if needed into the 4 inserts, the add water into the outer pot. I'll see if I can find any Westland gro-bags and nab a couple. 

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 16:29 »
I have never found any difference in them.  I think it is how you care for them once planted.  I have growbag trays which I lay them in, and black hoopy things which stop the bags flopping out and has provision for putting canes and ties.  Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 23:12 »
I've used Levington Tomorite Giant Grow Bags for the past couple of years and they have been good.
Like you I use the green grow pots with them.

Contents recycled into boxes the next year with a little BFB gave good crops of lettuce and carrots.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:57 »
Larger ones take four toms, and we have two in going in tandem, a few holes in the underside and in long watering trays.

We don't bother with feeding from the top, or watering from the bottom, (or vice versa) as there's never any appreciable difference, the stuff all collects underneath anway!

Pescador

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24 »
Goosegirl, the Tomorite Giant Tomato Planter also has a very good volume of compost.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 13:08 »
All bagged composts are variable , the raw materials and composting conditions are variable so no two years production will be exactly the same .
Just because brand x was good two months ago does not guarantee that the current product will be as good.
You really have to take a chance on getting a bagful from a good heap !

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 13:56 »
Ok, when I next visit our local garden centre I'll have a look at what they've got in stock and will possibly choose either Westland's or Levington's because I got 3 bags of Levington's topsoil to top up my g-house bed and it looked jolly good in comparison to the 2 bags of J. Innes which was ok on top but was really claggy lower down. 

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 15:10 »
IMO it is always best to put the contents of the bag through a 10mm sieve to loosen it up and take out the bigger lumps ( they can go in the bottom of bags or pots for drainage) and add some fish , blood and bone while you are doing it !
Best of all put it through a fast shredder and it comes out as soft as cotton wool with no claggy bits that roots will find it hard to penetrate. :)

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 48 queries.