ferline f1

• 11 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
ferline f1
« on: November 18, 2010, 19:02 »
hi folks ,did anyone grow this tom this season ,and if so were they any good?i fancy having a go next season cos ive heard some good reports about them. :)

Lardman

Re: ferline f1
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 19:34 »
Not this year, but the one before.

Waste of time and space. No taste at all and just as badly hit by blight as the rest. Have a search I and others have been unimpressed with them and posted so.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 22:53 »
I agree with lardman...give em a miss. I grew 2 plants this year and was very unimpressed. Why they would bother to develop an F1 variety of such a cr*p tomato is beyond me.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:38 »
thanks for the advice guys,what toms do you chaps grow ? maybe you could recommend me some reliable favorites. :) it was my first time growing toms this year in the green house.shirley f1 (cos they were a popular recommendation on this site)and they were nice.ailsa craig.wont bother again and sun gold ..nice.i'll grow shirley again but fancied trying a couple of others.thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:27 »
Look at this thread, which contains a link to another thread as well.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bonfire

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 15:03 »
I grew some ferline outdoors this year and they were very good for taste, size and cropping. I am in Sussex and in a good year for ripening, for once got the timing perfect, giving them protection from mid May until mid - June.

I am not a novice tomato grower and wonder if they like a bit more sun than they got further north this year. There was no blight on the site this year after two nightmare years - last year I got through with the help of Bordeaux Mixture and constant,obsessive attention so my main reason for picking them was blight resistance - which was not tested.

Having said that I will probably take the risk and go back to older varieties and Italian plum tomatoes this year.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 17:29 »
hi bonfire,what sort of protection? and why between may&june is that when blight is more prevelant? what is bordeaux mixture?sorry for all the questions i;m a bit dohhh!! :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 18:10 »
I grew them this year and found them to be  rreally good, Iwill definitely do them again next year as an outdoor variety, although I will be doing lots of other sorts as well.
Rachael

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 20:22 »
After 3 years of blight & total outdoor crop failures, I also tested Ferline this year and was pleasantly surprised by the heavy cropping.  I grew them for cooking (making passata) and I have decided to grow them again.  Blight resistance ...  well, they eventually succumbed but were much later than other varieties and I was able to harvest the vast majority and ripened any green ones indoors before the fruit was affected.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 20:38 »
hi bonfire,what sort of protection? and why between may&june is that when blight is more prevelant? what is bordeaux mixture?sorry for all the questions i;m a bit dohhh!! :)

Tomatoes, like quite a lot of other veggies, are not frost hardy so need to be protected from frost if outdoors before the final frost date (that's apx the start of June for me, hence location being important).  You can cover them overnight with fleece, newspaper etc if cool temps overnight are forecast after you've planted them out.

Bordeaux mixture is a powder you can get from garden centres and can be used to spray against blight, although is not a cast-iron protection from it.

bonfire

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 20:44 »
Sorry brassica the protection was against a late frost. It was the incredibly strong and good quality polythene our new armchairs came wrapped up in - wrapped around a wooden frame made from two old bunk beds. Nothing but the best on my patch.

Mid June I moved it on to cover half a dozen aubergines that like it a bit warmer and damper than we usually achieve in east Sussex.

My blight protection this year was Bordeaux mixture - used after a Smith period warning - twice in the whole summer. The year before was different - all except mine went down with blight but my plot had such a blue mist hanging over it that you would not have been surprised to see Peter Cushing and Vincent Price hanging around the compost bins.  

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 11:31 »
I grow these outdoors every year now for making pasta sauce like Paintedlady.  They are not the greatest raw but are very good cooked down.

Mine this year were blight free.  Last year they eventually went under but very late in the season and I did not spray them at all.   If outdoors is your only growing space, Ferline are a reliable cropper.  It's a bit disheartening to say the least if you lose the lot to blight just as they are looking promising.

xx
Ferline tomatoes discontinued!

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2023, 22:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Blight Resistant - Ferline and Legend

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 10:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 33 queries.