Fertilizing soft fruit

• 5 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Fertilizing soft fruit
« on: March 31, 2020, 17:12 »
On the 14th I was going to put growmore on my gooseberries, raspberries, currants and apple trees.  However I didn't get round to it.  I then got the Coronavirus and am still ill.
Do you think - assuming I can move again - that fertilizing everything at the weekend will be ok?  I don't have a temperature but am so breathless.
I am worried I am going to have so much weeding to do!!!
I know compared to others this is not a lot to complain about.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fertilizing soft fruit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 21:29 »
Sorry to hear about being ill - hope your journey to recovery is swift  :(

I'd put the fertiliser round when you can, and don't worry too much about the timing.  Look after yourself first, and ensure you don't go down to the allotment (if that's where your plants are, rather than the garden) until you're sure that you're out of the isolation period too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:16 »
There’s no rush, you may as well wait until you feel fully better rather than exhausting yourself and possibly having a relapse. There’s no sign of any significant rain in my forecast, so the fertiliser will just sit there until there is. Soft fruit is only just starting to break buds, so won’t be able to use the nutrients until the leaves are fully out. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:56 »
There’s no rush, you may as well wait until you feel fully better rather than exhausting yourself and possibly having a relapse. There’s no sign of any significant rain in my forecast, so the fertiliser will just sit there until there is. Soft fruit is only just starting to break buds, so won’t be able to use the nutrients until the leaves are fully out. Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Thank you and Yorkie for that.  I am out of the isolation period - just still exhausted even watering the houseplants makes me breathless (I wasn't a top class athlete beforehand, but I was nowhere near that unfit).  I can't complain I am not going to be permanently affected - just need patience - 2 weeks today of being ill.

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00 »
Sorry to jump in this thread. I mulched my I Inherited fruit bushes with wood chip to stop them getting weedy while I was getting on with what I considered more important jobs. I didn’t feed them. Can I do so now? And what should I give them? Will it make its way through the mulch!? 🙄

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 10:19 »
Sprinkle Growmore, chicken pellets, or whatever you've got to hand over the mulch, then 'tickle it in' as best you can using a fork or rake. That should help most of it find its way to the soil surface - just need to wait for rain then to wash it in (did I really say that?  ::))

You could liquid feed of course, but I tend to use that as a quick fix much later in the season than this.

Glad you're on the mend Londongardener - don't overreach yourself, your health and vitality is much more important than your plants'.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Soft Fruit

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 14:55
by Trillium

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 43 queries.