Downsizing from allotment to containers

• 14 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Downsizing from allotment to containers
« on: March 27, 2020, 17:24 »
Hi chaps, after more years than I want to recall I'm giving up on my allotment, I really enjoy a few bits of very very fresh veg so will have an area at home (gravel under-foot) where I can put planters and pots for toms lettuce etc etc I have a small strip of soil along side the garage where I can grow some runner and french beans. I think I can manage most of the stuff but wondered if anyone had any ideas about courgettes, I don't think there are miniature varieties ... any advice please ?

Mr Dog

Re: Downsizing from allotment to containers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 19:28 »
I've grown them in grow bags on a patio before now. They weren't (some may breathe a sigh of relief) as productive as in the ground but still gave a decent crop. Unfortunately I have no idea of variety.
Some RHS advice https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/courgettes

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 20:51 »
We're looking to do the same Roger, but staying away from the GC is a challenge, as I don't have any seeds, or plants..:0(

I reckon it's a good idea, so go for it, as all they really need is a medium to grow in, plus some feed and of course water, so they'll need a tray underneath!

I'm rather hoping that the plants we had last year might have self-seeded, so I can get some going soon...

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 07:21 »
That's a pain, no seeds, I think I have enough from last year and I did get some seed potatoes I'll put those in a dustbin so we must all, I guess, look at this time as a "challenge" devising ways to get around the problems ... I recall an old mate from years ago hardly bought seed, for instance when it came to tomatoes he'd walk along the border where he planned to grow them, throw a nice ripe tom' down every couple of feet and just 'heel' it in with his boot, always had great crops !

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 07:26 »
Coincidentally I had an email from 'primrose' I don't normally use them but they are still delivering plants.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:32 »
We often go to Blackbrooks in Sedlescombe, Roger, but daren't visit there at the moment!

I reckon we've spent more with Mr Winchester than anywhere else over the years too! Out of interest, where is your best local GC?

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 07:46 »
I'm not a great lover of GCs though I do take my wife, she likes to wander around. I'll pop into our local BQ sometimes 'cause I often go to the "retail park" also ESK Hastings is pretty good.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 07:53 »
Growster, what seeds are you after ? I知 sure I can find some to send you, having sorted my seed boxes out over the last few days I知 sure I don稚 need 500+ packets gulps
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 09:56 »
Growster, what seeds are you after ? I知 sure I can find some to send you, having sorted my seed boxes out over the last few days I知 sure I don稚 need 500+ packets gulps

Snows, this is so kind of you!

It's only courgette seeds really, we now have enough room at home, after growing a 'village-full' down at The Patch until a year or so ago! Most people used to run a mile when we appeared with a trugful...

Is that a possibility? Of course, I'll send postage etc!|

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35 »
Again if you want some fun try this:

OprrsKDfG9I

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 11:12 »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 11:49 »
When my husband became ill, I decided to give up my lotties.  Now I grow all my needs in containers.  In some ways I have found it easier to keep a direct eye on what exactly is going on with them.  Watering I find is really not much different to the plot and so I would say the outcome has been a good success.  Sorry I cannot advise about courgettes, I am not a lover and so buy one occasionally when the need arises.  Good luck.  Mrs Bouquet.   PS:   Other lottie owners have kindly given me some of their produce the last few years.  But that cannot be relied on.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 11:52 »
Sorry don'tknow what happened to my link but I searched for "save courgette seed"

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 11:15 »

Snows, this is so kind of you!

It's only courgette seeds really, we now have enough room at home, after growing a 'village-full' down at The Patch until a year or so ago! Most people used to run a mile when we appeared with a trugful...

Is that a possibility? Of course, I'll send postage etc!|
Pm me your address, no postage required xx

Ema

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 14:37 »
I Would think you値l be fine with a bush variety of courgette as they are more compact plants, just give it a feed regularly

xx
Downsizing on allotment space and need to move apple trees

Started by Runwell-Steve on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 12:27
by Runwell-Steve
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP
xx
Containers

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 15:45
by little sweetpeas
xx
Veg in containers

Started by digga666 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 12:03
by digga666

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 54 queries.