Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

• 53 Replies

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 13:35 »
Eyyup Skiprat,
                    I'm not really a proper Hullite mate as my allotment is at Paull and as I am also a Paull resident we come under East Yorkshire Council. The allotment area was given to the Parish council by the local farmer. He's a great guy as if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have any allotments here at all. As I said before there are quite a few unused but to be honest us lotties that are here don't seem to get any hassle off of anybody, we all get on okay and are left alone to tend our allotments as we wish. It's marvellous :D .

Grasshopper
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 12:05 »
Ha ... I still have to get a straight answer for that one.

WG.

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 13:06 »
Quote from: "The Thin Blue Line"
You've completely lost me mate :?  :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 15:39 »
Quote from: "WG."
You've completely lost me mate :?  :?

Possibly a reply to gobs's query?

Quote from: "gobs"
Well having gone from 23 (last year) on the list to 13 in September to been told via email a few weeks ago that a review was been taken and the waiting list suspended im slightly put off, I have been helping out with some old dears on the local plots so I get to be known to people but still....

And it is inspections :) , If any one gives you grief send them my way.

anyway I do have a bit of a garden that I use, but its hardly fair on the wife and kids..

Suspended? What do they mean? I've heard some councils closed the waiting lists, but surely the allocation of new plots continues by the existing lists, does it not? :?  :shock:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 10:52 »
I gave up my plot in sept due to politics, and am now using my garden , we have 3 sites here the site I was at had about 30 plots , I think there are about 250 plots in total run by asscociation and council, we had an 18 month waiting list.
I would love to have been left alone to get on with things. :cry:
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 23:20 »
Quote from: "freyaluck"

I would love to have been left alone to get on with things. :cry:

Was that due to you practising permaculture ? no tolerance some sites, thats the problem when you get a large waiting list and rigid train of thought.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

yummy

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 17:21 »
We have inspections in June and September I think.

Our site is full now and there is a bit of a list but not a massive one I don't think.

Have had a couple of slapped wrists, one for not trimming the hedges and one about weeds (even though the committee instructed us to use a weedkiller in February, which didn't work because nothing was growing yet)

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 20:38 »
Didn't realise plots got inspected!!  Given the state of ours last September when we took it on, things can only improve.  At least we can see from one end of the plot to the other now!  

Hope they aren't too tough on my site, as it looks like I'm going to be incapacitated for much of this next season!  :(
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

SkipRat

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 01:53 »
Quote from: "Grasshopper"
Eyyup Skiprat,
                    I'm not really a proper Hullite mate as my allotment is at Paull and as I am also a Paull resident we come under East Yorkshire Council. The allotment area was given to the Parish council by the local farmer. He's a great guy as if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have any allotments here at all. As I said before there are quite a few unused but to be honest us lotties that are here don't seem to get any hassle off of anybody, we all get on okay and are left alone to tend our allotments as we wish. It's marvellous :D .

Grasshopper

That sounds a good setup there grasshopper, and a big thumbs up to your local farmer, I havent been to Paul for years.There used to be a small boatyard come repair shop on the way into Paul and we used to do the odd job in there, shotblasting/painting the odd bouy that came out of the Humber. Anyway good luck with your lottie.  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

beansticks

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 19:11 »
Our site is very small with only 20 plots,which were all taken upto the beginning of December.We recently formed a committee after many years of a guy running the site on his own,making all the decisions on his own without consulting anyone else.We now have a formal committee with officers elected by all plotholders.We have 2 plotholders who we only see 2 to 3 times a year,well in the December meeting we were able to evict the one guy for non payment of rent which was due in Sept.We are in the process of setting up some kind of inspection system that will weed out the people who really dont want to be there,this will allow the opportunity for genuine gardeners to take their places.We also have a system in place to help anyone who falls ill.This has been the bane of my life for the 4 years that i have had a plot,particularly that at one time my neighbouring plotholder was only seen 3 times in 3 years.

beansticks

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2007, 19:14 »
Forgot to mention that the vacant plot has already been applied for.

BeggerJohn

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 20:21 »
Never thought about plot inspections before. Our site has over a 100 plots and at a rough guess about 80% in use. Its sister site down the road has about the same. Whilst digging and clearing today I realised that a plot inspection was in progress around the site. In the main they seem quite happy with most of them. They have just managed to 'lose' someone who seemed to be growing bigger and bigger sheds instead of anything else.
I asked if they where satisfied with  our plot and they said coming out twice over Christmas had not gone unnoticed. We are digging now for our third year and have noticed some near us only showed interest for short time.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008, 15:51 »
Hi all - this is my first post here! :)

My Mum and Dad have an allotment in E Yorks which they were allocated last April.They share it with me and my SIL.

Having got the bug last year I have decided I ned more space and have approached the council for my own plot. I have my eye on one adjacent to my Mums which would be ideal as we could share tools etc until I get established. It hasn't been used all year (it is 90% weeds) and I have never seen anyone on it. The allotment lady said there is a waiting list of about 7 people (which didn't stop her giving my Mum & Dad a plot that she had already offered to someone else last year!!!) She has tried to contact the plots owner but has had no reply to her letter and she has no phone number! She did a plot ispection last year and identified up to 12 plots that were in a bad way. She tells me that when letters go out the owners often make a token tidy up effort and then leave it again! I feel she has no real interest in chasing these people and is doing her job in a half hearted way! It seems that a system needs to be put in place to get the time wasters out quickly! :!:

Then you get the plots that are used by the pigeon people who cover half in sheds hidden behind tall fences and leave the rest to go to weed! What a waste of good land!!!

Sorry rant over :oops:  I'll get back to planning the plot I might never get!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Sally A

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 16:30 »
why not negotiate with a pigeon person to use their unused half?

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008, 17:44 »
Are you kidding?

They guard their plots with their lives! Non pigeon people are not welcome!! They even have keep out signs outside!  :evil:

I'm surprised they've not gone as far as erecting barbed wire and look out posts - ha ha!  

xx
Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

76 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:57
by woodburner
xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
The dreaded Plot inspections!!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 13:12
by Lee1978
xx
Pics of my small garden plot (waiting for an allotment)

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 18:38
by peapod

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.