Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

• 53 Replies

BAK

• BK This and That
« on: December 17, 2007, 19:13 »
I have formed the view, rightly or wrongly, that there is a strong correlation between waiting lists and plot inspections.

I have used this view to support a policy of plot inspections on our site where there is a reasonable, though arguably not excessive, waiting list.

Am I right or wrong?

Do you have a waiting list on your site? ... and do you have plot inspections? Please let me know.

If you have any numbers  ... numbers on the waiting list versus the number of plots on the site ... then that would be a bonus.

I will summarise the responses at the end of Jan for anybody who is interested.

Thanks .. in anticipation.

Brian

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 20:34 »
We have plot inspections, not sure how often tho' as long as people seem to be making progress trying, or known to be ill etc no one seems to mind.

Wish we had a waiting list, 130 plots and at most half used probably a little less, our sister site is full tho'.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 21:09 »
Hi, Bak, and probably you are right.

We have 35 plots, all worked and the oldest lottie holder is 73, and he is as fit as anyone, he does the upkeep of paths for all, too. We have a 26 strong waiting list. In my view, it is rather taking the piss, than a waiting list.

We do 2 yearly inspections.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 21:49 »
I think our site has plot inspections every month but it is a huge site - around 250 plots I think.  
Many people have take on extra plots so the waiting list doesn't go down very quickly.

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 22:25 »
We ahve around 92 plots, a wait list of around 30 and inspections roughly every three months I think.  They have just turned over the next 5 available plots to half plots (quarter plots really as the full sized plots were cut in half some years ago to accommodate the waiting list then.  But people offered the 'half' plots can turn them down and wait for the next 'full' plot, or take on a 'half' plot and then hand it over when a 'full' one becomes empty.  I just missed this offer (fortunately!), a half plot is about 15'x45' so not very big at all.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:10 »
thanks for the information so far - all very useful nuggets. More welcome.

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:45 »
Well we have about 42 plots and 40 old people on the list , As for  
 inspections every six months . I would say a third of the plots are
 not cultivated  :roll:
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

brucesgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:01 »
Ours is an ongoing inspection as the site manager has allotments there too. He keeps an eye on things, but sometimes I think he is a bit too soft-hearted with some of the tenants. I have been on there a year now and there are a couple who just move a bit of soil around now and again, or put a sheet of plastic down.
There are 7 on the waiting list, but some of the plots will be free in spring for them, as people on the site get them cleared up for incoming plot-holders.

Lynne

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 11:29 »
Our site has 20 plots all used now, although one or two new people might have got cold feet already after only 4 weeks. The parish clerk visits every month or so to check what is being done and she writes to holders of unattended plots. If nothing is done after 2 months, they have to return the keys and it goes to someone on the waiting list.

There are about 8 people on a waiting list at the moment.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

mushroom

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 15:12 »
We have a small waiting list but a huge site and the site has only just become fully occupied. Our lot is society-run, and they seem reasonable. There's members there that keep an eye on things, it's not like anyone is marching round in jackboots barking orders.

Thing is, plots can fall into disuse for a whole load of reasons, an inspection only tells half the story.

I think the waiting list/plot inspection correlation is very weak. We have alweays had waiting lists, because a significant number of potential new plotholders want their plot handed to them, already dug and planted if possible. On rent day, when they are reviewing plot ownership, they are offered an overgrown plot, many/most turn their noses up - they go to the bottom of the list. And so it goes on...

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 16:02 »
can't understnad this attitude mushroom, half the fun is in preparing it the way you want it for yourself.  I am glad though that I have a plot that was cultivated until recently, but am changing so much about it to fit my own wants and requirements.

mushroom

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 16:22 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
can't understnad this attitude mushroom, half the fun is in preparing it the way you want it for yourself.  I am glad though that I have a plot that was cultivated until recently, but am changing so much about it to fit my own wants and requirements.

Yep, I agree totally. I like starting with a blank canvas anyway. Apart from the £$%^&*( bramble!

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 16:48 »
mushroom ... I agree that there are other factors. We have the same problem with fussy people on the waiting list although this seems a fairly recent phenomenon (for us at least). And of course there can be reasons why a plot is not being cultivated, eg health issues.

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 16:56 »
I am sort of surprised that so far everybody says that they have plot inspections (or appraisals - somebody has told me off for sounding like a policeman by using the term inspection).

Surely there are some sites out there that do not have them, irrespective of whether or not they have waiting lists??

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 17:03 »
We don't have formal inspections - our site rep keeps an eye out. If a plot is neglected then he talks to the plot holder to see why.

We've 42 plots which are technically all occupied, maybe 6 are, in my opinion, not being cultivated and a few people on the waiting list. Maybe 3?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

76 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:57
by woodburner
xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
The dreaded Plot inspections!!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 13:12
by Lee1978
xx
Pics of my small garden plot (waiting for an allotment)

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 18:38
by peapod

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.