Broad beans, peas and mice

• 12 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:12 »
Hi all. I'm raising broad bean plants and some overwintering peas in Rootrainers ready to go out on the allotment towards the end of the month. This is a new plot and we're warned by other plotholders that the mice are extremely cheeky and very fond of legumes. I'm assuming that the worst threat is to pea and bean seed, but will they damage my young plants? If so, does anyone have any hints and tips for keeping the little * off?

Many mousy thanks!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:01 »
I think your biggest problem with mice is at the seed stage, then once they are up it's the flying rats you have to worry about :evil:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I think your biggest problem with mice is at the seed stage, then once they are up it's the flying rats you have to worry about :evil:

Ahh you mean the vultures  :evil: They got all my BBs in the spring and I presume they like field beans nearly as much?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 13:10 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Ahh you mean the vultures  :evil: They got all my BBs in the spring and I presume they like field beans nearly as much?

I reckon they eat anything that looks like a seed  :evil:

Oscar Too

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 14:52 »
Am I right in thinking that soaking bb and peas in paraffin before sowing will keep mice off?  We lost several rows last year - just disappeared from the bed.  SWMBO was saying "You haven't sown anything" - I was pointing to the notebook saying "Look - date, variety and diagram.  Where have the flippin things gone?"  before we worked it out.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 14:57 »
It has been my experience that by planting seeds deeper than normal at 3-4 inches, they all escape the wildlife. For some reason the pigeons don't seem interested in young pea or been plants so it is normally quite safe to leave these plants uncovered until pods fatten up.

While mice do eat the peas and beans they are not always the culprit and most are eaten by jays. Planting at 3" will put the seed out of range of all villains.

Incidentally, you will get better results sowing the beans direct rather than molly coddling them in pots. Autumn sowing is not about getting big plants fast, it's about getting short but strong plants that will make a strong root system and be ready to rocket away the moment the weather begins to improve in the spring.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 15:13 »
Coo! Thanks all. I couldn't sow direct this year (allotment only just getting dug) but will do next year.

Many happy beans!

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 22:47 »
I read somewhere that if you just begin to sprout peas and beans before planting that they are then of less interest to mice. Can's say that I've ever tried it though.

SS

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:40 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
For some reason the pigeons don't seem interested in young pea or been plants so it is normally quite safe to leave these plants uncovered until pods fatten up.

You're having a laugh aren't you!

Wouldn't dare leave my peas uncovered until they were at least 2" high. I've seen them at it. But yes - also have to net again once the pods fatten up.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 19:03 »
I like a joke but I was not having a laugh. My plot pretty much backs onto a nature reserve and there are thousands of woodies up in the trees giving my crops the once over.

By the time the beans have germinated, the pigeons will be stuffing themselves silly with ivy berries which they love and will not risk coming to ground for just a tiddly bit of green with little food value. They know what is the best pickings.

However, if you have spare nets it does no harm to cover the plants.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 19:11 »
Mine would be gone in an instant!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 20:24 »
Mine too  :(  thats what you get from a city plot not much natural food about I suppose

gobs

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: "Eristic"

While mice do eat the peas and beans they are not always the culprit

Very much! They might be, but be prepared it won't be necessarily the real reason. If they are they won't be bothered much with young seedlings. The enemy is locally different as testified here again, we don't get any bother from birds here with legume seedlings, either.

If you have weevils (can't remember the spelling of this word, sorry), it will be a diff story in cool weather and no netting will help.

If you have voles, you have a real problem.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Broad beans and peas v. mice

Started by JennyD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 23:43
by Salmo
xx
Paraffin peas broad beans and mice

Started by pipfit on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 16:12
by pipfit
xx
Broad beans and mice!

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 22:49
by Benandbill
xx
mice eating broad beans

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 07, 2017, 19:23
by Christine

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.