Building a Hen House

• 9 Replies

---Snakey---

Building a Hen House
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:44 »
Hi all

I'm a newbie to this site and also to chicken keeping. So first of all.... "My names Snakey.... and i'm a hen oholic!!"

Just wanted to chat for those who wanted to take the plunge and build their hen house from scratch. I must admit that finding a design for a simpleton like me was actually quite hard to do online, no real dimensions or "recipes" just loads of pictures and books for sale, so I improvised, used DEFRA guidlines on size and selecting the best parts of designs that I had seen for sale on coops on a commercial level. I would say that it wasn't a massive financial saving and at times (having used multiple swearing words and saw throwing techniques) I wished I had just went out and bought one. I am however delighted with then end result which I did over several weeks doing and hour or so after work. I have added a photo of mine and it has the following features... It sleeps 4 hens (could actually fit another one in comfortably) has a sliding drawer for cleaning out poop, slatted floor space within, two nest boxes accessible from a door at the side and some ventilation holes at the back. The lid/roof is hinged at the top for full access and all in all it probably cost £120. I would welcome comments on it and if anyone would like me to post a schematic online then I would be happy to do so.

All the best... snakey
photo (3).JPG

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: Building a Hen House
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:12 »
looks great a bit easy for a fox to get in perhaps but good job  :)
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 12:25 »
Welcome to the Forum, snakey  :).  Well done for building your own!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

---Snakey---

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 13:58 »
Cheers Wolverine and Bantam,

The hen house is near to the dog pen where my two aging choccy labs sleep at night. Do you think their scent would be enough to put off a fox? My neighbor who is the other side of the privot edge shown on the picture also has a lab and i did think i had all bases covered with regards to foxes.

Cheers

Snakey

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 17:32 »
It looks great but I'd put a roof on it to be safe!!

Knight Family

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 18:56 »
Cheers Wolverine and Bantam,

The hen house is near to the dog pen where my two aging choccy labs sleep at night. Do you think their scent would be enough to put off a fox? My neighbor who is the other side of the privot edge shown on the picture also has a lab and i did think i had all bases covered with regards to foxes.

Cheers

Snakey

Sorry Snakey, but the fox wont be bothered by them if they are in a pen, in fact he will go have a look! Our local fox's only run when out dogs are outside.

The House looks good, my only recomendation would be to use ply not tonge and groove only for red mites.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 16:54 »
Hi Snakey and welcome from another hen oholich, there are lots of us here :D

Well done on your coop and run, as you get more experienced you'll want to add bits and bobs for the safety and enjoyment of your chooks.

We lost 1 to the fox and the other 2 to the fox or badger, not sure which but it was a bit of a wake up call. 

Our new bunch are in 2 different coops with attached small runs within larger runs.  Both runs are covered to give a bit of protection from the elements and predators, the small runs are also covered all round in the winter keeping the food extra dry.  They also have perches in both which they use a lot :lol:

There are pictures of lots of coops and runs on here and there's always someone to answer any questions you have :D

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

rachelr

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 18:16 »
well done any chance you can make me one.

I wish I could have made my own. I just think it makes you own them more.

You know like making your own chutneys and things.

Knight Family

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 20:52 »
well done any chance you can make me one.

I wish I could have made my own. I just think it makes you own them more.

You know like making your own chutneys and things.

Very true.....

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 16:08 »
Snakey, it looks great!  :)

All you need to do is make a little mesh roof, just like the sides (if you've got any mesh left, just knock it on with staples!). Then it'll be absolutely perfect .

I like that you've put slabs on the ground so the fox can't get under.

xx
play house to hen house

Started by Catsmuvva on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 10:03
by ANHBUC
xx
Building up!

Started by Chuckles on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 21:21
by Chuckles
xx
Building my 1st run

Started by Andrew4613 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 01:29
by Lindeggs
xx
Building a coop, a little help needed please.

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 13:05
by andreadon

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.