First Taste Of Summer, But From A Carnivorous Plant

• 4 Replies

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« on: August 03, 2008, 14:06 »
Yes. What can you eat from a carnivorous plant? Well, you can taste nectar. Its probably the last thing you think of, but it is nice. Its only a tiny bit on a plant called Nepenthes/Monkey Cups. They produce it to arrtact insects, but there arn't many in my house. It made my day, I had a really crappy day, and came back to find my plant dribbling it over the pot. A nice sweet taste. Just one of the perks of growing Carnivorous plants :D Well, thats it I think, other than my fist scotch bonnet yesterday, Boy that was HOT! :wink: What are you expecting to taste next? Im hopping for a pepper, or a tomato.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 16:13 »
I often wonder who is ever the 1st person to eat or drink something, now I know its you.  
I made jerk chicken last night with scotch bonnet in and you' right to does make your eyes water, scrummy though.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 18:23 »
I picked my chilli off the little bush and cut it up within the minute. So it was really fresh. Amazing fruity flavor to complement a dangerous heat :D I had it in a curry, hooo, dam, was very hot. It's a good job I never put a Naga in there, I might have died. :tongue2:

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 20:10 »
Still waiting for my habs, datil and scotch bonnet to flower.....got plenty of buds tho' and they were late going in, but I have high hopes for them!.....can't wait!!!! :) Got plenty of cayenne and pretty in purple pods :)

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:14 »
This years chilli plants are all a bit hybrid, due to various saved seed and cross polination  I guess.
Originally I started off with nipon taka, inchange, bird eye and thai hot , all mostly thing short/long varieties. What I have now are large lantern shaped ones, all growing well.

Plus also growing from saved supermarket capsicum sweet peppers plus some plants I got from longacres nursery which are tiny plants each with a few massive fruits.

After sundays visit to the chilli festival , I now have some dorset naga seed ready for next year.

I think really growing them outdoors in fairly shady , the only spare space available, they would do better with morning sun, and some evening warmth, so maybe a polytunnel or similar up the plot for 2009.
Steve

xx
a taste of summer

Started by crackedflowerpots on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 14:32
by compostqueen
xx
Can you plant winter & summer honeysuckle together?

Started by Code Red on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 08:54
by sunshineband
xx
Spring/summer flowering bulbs to plant now?

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 20:40
by mumofstig
xx
Carnivorous Plants....

Started by toto691 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2006, 11:23
by toto691

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 34 queries.