judas tree

• 4 Replies

jannie

• Experienced Member
judas tree
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:00 »
hi all need your help if poss , what do you think is wrong with my cercis judus tree dont want to loose it but dont want it spreading if has a

problem cant spray by the pond thanks  :(  :) jan

Trillium

judas tree
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 23:58 »
Redbuds are normally resistant to most diseases, but not to verticillium wilt, which is what I believe your tree has. Verticillium is a systemic fungus, which spreads by root absorption.

The tree normally needs a chalkier soil in which to thrive in, so the recommended remedy for a mild case is an immediate and liberal application of ammonium sulfate fertilizer, and water it in. Also, cut out and burn all the affected branches. And wait. This may or may not cure your problem. If it doesn't, you'll have to dig out the tree and replace with a resistant variety or something different.

jannie

• Experienced Member
judas tree
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 14:07 »
thanks Trillium, i have acid soil but the tree has been there for about 4 years and has been wonderfull was a lot bigger i did cut it down and removed infected leaves and feed it but with comfrey, i am really worried as i have a red one behind that at the moment does not seem to have a problem ,and have a very old and well loved acer so as much as i dont want to i think it will have to have the chop i will feed with what you recommened and see, thanks again i will let you know jan :)

Trillium

judas tree
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 15:35 »
Acers are a good non-host plant so your other tree might be safe. Keep fingers crossed and a watchful eye.

jannie

• Experienced Member
judas tree
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33 »
thanks Trillium, i'm sorry when i said red one i ment another judus tree [forest pansy] :oops:  and a acer i'm keeping a watch eye, do you think if i replace it it would be ok to put my banana in its place its in a very large pot at the moment but will soon out grow it, jan :)

xx
What is this tree?

Started by 1st time veg grower on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:12
by mrs bouquet
clip
Tree for I d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 09:23
by New shoot
clip
another tree ID please

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 11:11
by Goosegirl
clip
Help to ID tree

Started by banf77 on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 08:54
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 35 queries.