Sweet Peas

• 42 Replies

ratman

Sweet Peas
« on: May 05, 2008, 20:26 »
Does anyone grow them here ? I think they really add a beautifull colour and scent to the garden and as cut flowers, to the house.
I grow lots as I just like them.

Trillium

Sweet Peas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 00:28 »
Quite a few of us grow them, mostly because they're so beautiful and fragrant. Over here you can't buy them in the shops so visiting friends are always thrilled to get a handful to take home.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Sweet Peas
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 00:47 »
I got three different Sweet Pea types last year half price in Wilkos, and have got a bit carried away!
ive got 4 trellis in the back garden and 1 next to the front door, and have got two seedling in each part! Think Im gonna have to get rid of one in each bed :-(
cant wait for them to start flowering, My mates arent into gardening so I have never seen them or smelt them close by,
Im a bit worried my trellis are too small though, as Ive heard they can grow huge
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
Sweet Peas
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 03:11 »
I grow them  :D They are my absolute favourite thing. My dad always grows them so I suppose it reminds me of home or something. I have a big trellis up the back of the veggie patch. I got some heritage ones last year, but they didnt do quite so well so will probably stick to the bog standard ones next year.

Alex 98

Sweet Peas
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:14 »
Best flower in the world, when I see them and smell them this comes to mind:-

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

newseed

Sweet Peas
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 22:17 »
I love sweet peas, I have already planted them out, am I too early because the leaves are turning yellow do I have to feed them and if so with what?

Catherine

Sweet Peas
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 22:23 »
I have started dozens and dozens of sweet peas in February and lost loads to mice in the polytunnel.  Now I have hardly any coming through.  Next year I am going to plan everything better because we did not have shelves in the polytunnel and the mice also took all our broadbean, nasturtiums and other things.  Last year because my sweet peas were looking good I gave away my spare peas and I wont do that again. Because mine failed and I had no others to take their place. But they are my favourite plants.

compostqueen

Sweet Peas
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 22:25 »
some of mine are out, up an obelisk from Wilko  :D   The others will go on the plot. I think you can feed them when they show signs of flowering with a general purpose liquid feed and then when flowering starts they can be fed with tomato food

Ruby Red

Sweet Peas
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 12:46 »
Quote from: "newseed"
I love sweet peas, I have already planted them out, am I too early because the leaves are turning yellow do I have to feed them and if so with what?

They are very heavy feeders and like lots of muck in the trough. The same with a lot of plants, the more flowers you pick the more they will grow. Remove unnecessary tendrils and remove any seed pods that appear or they will stop flowering.  :D
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Sweet Peas
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:50 »
Alex ... this year I am grow the T&M seed "Flying the Flag"  :D  ... it's red white and blue!!!!  :tongue2:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

Alex 98

Sweet Peas
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 13:00 »
Good Stuff.

Alex 98

ratman

Sweet Peas
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 18:49 »
Have just planted the next succesion of sweet peas up wigwams. I love to plant over a period of about 6 weeks to ensure flowering right the way through the summer. I tend to mix several varieties together to try and attain the heavy fragrance as well as the different colours. My dad had some beautifull two tone flowers and I have tried to find them everywhere without any joy. The petals were so prominently marked, half being one colour and the other half a different shade. So pretty. As for feeding, I always use lots of pelleted chicken manure and a good liquid feed as they begin to flower. Another little tip, straight after planting the seeds I empty the grass bag from the lawn mower full of lawn cuttings and spread over the planted area. This helps keep the hot sun from the young seedlings as they begin to chit through and drying them out to quick. It also helps retain a little moisture to help them and as the grass rots down it helps compost the soil as well

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Sweet Peas
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 14:54 »
Alex, I'm growing some in the back garden, called Royal Family !!! Love your quotation. Some plants/flowers are so evocative.
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

Novice

• Experienced Member
Sweet Peas
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 15:20 »
Last year, I grew mine up the front of my compost bins ( made from palletts ) and took a bunch home to Mrs.Novice evrytime I was at the lottie.
They really are an excellent  cut flower to have in the house - so fragrant
Same plan again this time round

Trillium

Sweet Peas
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 15:43 »
Alex, was that poem by Rupert Brookes? I recall an old movie with Leslie Howard quoting that poem. Can't remember which, possibly Pimpernel Smith.

xx
Sweet peas - how many?

Started by purplebean on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:52
by purplebean
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by noshed on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 21:27
by Clodagh & Dick
clip
Sweet peas

Started by vikingraider on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post July 09, 2023, 18:22
by Hortic
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by chicken soup on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 17:51
by Trillium

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 38 queries.