flee beetle

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

flee beetle
« on: April 07, 2019, 17:58 »
looking at theothermarg reply reminded me to ask about the flee beetle does the flee beetle attack swede seedlings as well as brassicas seedlings I know farmers are having real problems with growing rape a lot of rape looks devastated round here does the flee beetle attack any other seedlings ?

as I understand the chemical what farmers used to spray rape was banned because it was said to kill of the bee population that made sense to save the bees but I'm not sure what was put in place if anything

I just wondered if there was any thing out there to control of the flee beetle for the home gardener one of the reasons to grow swede in modules or pots before the beetle a chance to attack

Pescador

Re: flee beetle
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 06:57 »
Swedes are brassicas, that's why flea beetle go for them. You could always start them under fleece or enviromesh until they're large enough to withstand any damage.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:18 »
It does seem to be more of a problem with young brassica's and when the Calabrese looked ragged I blamed slugs but then I heard it could be insects I tried spray which I only use at a last resort, when the plant grew bigger it stopped being a problem.

Radish are suppose to be a dead easy veg but it struggles with holey leaves, am trying enviromesh
They do nibble swede but I find it's such a vigerous plant it doesn't stop it growing
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:10 »
I have a problem with flea beetle   :lol: :lol:  No, I mean on my Rocket, I now build a little frame around the plants and cover with old nets.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 10:13 »

I heard about a way to combat the little perishers,  coat a piece of board (10"X 10" ish) with thick grease and pass it over the crop.  The beetles jump and get stuck to the grease.

Cheers,  Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
flee beetle

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2019, 16:23
by rowlandwells
xx
Flee beetle nightmare

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 16:38
by oldcow
xx
What is this beetle?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 11:25
by viettaclark
xx
BEETLE

Started by MPOWNEY on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 15:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 29 queries.