Bulbs in pots

• 2 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Bulbs in pots
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:09 »
Apologies for the long post but you need to know the background.
I have a small garden with a patio.  I recently moved a pond and in the process had to temporarily put the following plants in pots :-
daffodils, snowdrops, snowflakes and possibly bluebells.
The daffs and snowdrops flowered ok.  I am thinking about keeping them in pots as we can see them easier that way.
Any advice or thoughts?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bulbs in pots
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:10 »
Bulbs will live in pots quite happily, but it is best to re-pot them each year.  You can either lift them 'in the green" i.e. once they have flowered, but the leaves are still there, or wait until they disappear under the compost and are back to being bulbs again.

If you leave them in pots long term, they get overcrowded, stop flowering  and eventually go into one and break down into lots of tiny bulbs.

It is also worth feeding bulbs in pots while they are in leaf.  Those leaves are making the flowers for next year, so a bit of extra help has it rewards.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Bulbs in pots
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:54 »
Bulbs will live in pots quite happily, but it is best to re-pot them each year.  You can either lift them 'in the green" i.e. once they have flowered, but the leaves are still there, or wait until they disappear under the compost and are back to being bulbs again.

If you leave them in pots long term, they get overcrowded, stop flowering  and eventually go into one and break down into lots of tiny bulbs.

It is also worth feeding bulbs in pots while they are in leaf.  Those leaves are making the flowers for next year, so a bit of extra help has it rewards.

Thank you for that.

xx
bulbs in pots

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 19:35
by Yorkie
xx
Bulbs in pots

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 17:11
by New shoot
xx
what to do with bulbs in pots

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 17:30
by barbarella
xx
bulbs

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2020, 11:45
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.