How to prune a newly planted apple tree

• 10 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
How to prune a newly planted apple tree
« on: January 03, 2014, 14:37 »

We have recently planted a 1yr feathered maiden bare root apple tree (Kidd's Orange Red) on an M26 rootstock, and are not sure how to prune it.  Having looked at the planting instructions, the advice on the RHS website and our neighbour who has a few apple trees of her own, we are now more confused than ever about the best way to proceed.  I am attaching a photo of what we have done so far.  As you can see we have cut back the central stem to just above the top leader, then reduced the three leaders at the top by about a third.

Our neighbour suggested we should remove the two leaders growing near the bottom - the lowest one is 18 inches from the ground -  if we want to grow the tree as a proper trunk and a goblet shaped tree at the top (and hopefully be able to walk underneath it when it is fully grown).   However, those two leaders look so sturdy and healthy we are a  bit hesitant so would appreciate some advice.
Kidd's Orange Red 1yr feathered maiden.JPG

diospyros

Re: How to prune a newly planted apple tree
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 20:20 »
I would say leave it alone for another year now or you will have nothing left!  Instinct tells me somehow that the lower branches will be photosynthesising and contributing to the healthy growth of the tree and then you can lop them off next year.

I would also say that the stake is too tall.  You want to allow movement of the upper part of the tree as this will stimulate root growth.  This is something I was told by an expert not something I have made up like the first bit!

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 20:27 »
When in doubt, don't. Unless you really understand pruning, best to leave it alone for this year. You can study its growth through the year and be ready to prune next winter.

ididntdoit

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 23:18 »
Those leaders at the base seem very low and I would prune them out. Doing that will encourage growth higher up the stem.

Next year see what happens. It's not clear from the photo how high the tree is but I would stick with the top three leaders and possibly a fourth slightly lower down which will emerge next year, especially so if you have pruned out the lower ones.

Good luck, pruning in the early stages is never an exact science.

diospyros

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:02 »
Something slightly more concrete is emerging in  my memory - something about the more branches you leave on (for now) the thicker the trunk will grow?

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:02 »
Thanks for the replies.  Sorry I have not replied before but I didn't get the usual email notification although I checked the box for notification. 

Oh dear, no consensus then :(   You all say don't do it, except ididntdoit who agrees with my neighbour.    I think I will do nothing for now and hope diospyros is right.  Still open for further advice.

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:07 »
My Apple tree was that size newly planted in late 2012. I left it alone for the 1st year and have given it a gentle prune December just gone.

Leave it alone, its not in any way tall, straggly & in need of urgent work. After this season have a look at it then.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:49 »
I agree with ididntdoit and would prune the two lower leaders out. They seem in an awkward place and you can build a proper crown this way. Otherwise they would just use up resources from the remaining tree. Once pruned out the tree will concentrate on producing new shoots closer to the top.

I also agree with diospyros that the stake is too tall. The stake should be no more than 2/3 the height of the tree to allow movement and proper root development. Otherwise the tree gets so used to the support of the stake that it can brake as soon as you remove the stake. You also need to tie the tree to the stake with a figure 8 so that the tree does not rub against the stake when there is a stronger wind. And try not to bend the tree when tying to the stake as it will not develop a straight stem then.

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 14:43 »
I'd prune out the two lower leaders as well or I'd be worried that they'll romp away while you don't get much growth on the top part of the tree. Then when you prune them out next year you'll be losing growth that could have been on the top branches that you're retaining. It looks like this has already happen to a degree as the top branches don't seem very vigorous.

4 Seasons

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 15:55 »
Firstly let me congratulate you on your choice of apple tree. Kidd's Orange Red is the favourite eater in my orchard and I love its sweet flavour and texture. It's nice and crisp when young and keeps well but loses some of its crispness in storage as they all do but doesn't go soft like some.

I am in the prune it out camp. You want your branches as high as you can get on a bush without having to crawl about underneath collecting the windfalls when the ground is wet and cold. Been there done that. Pruning it when it's young will be less of a shock to it than having to use a saw later on. You won't kill it and as Nobbie has said it looks like it wants to put it's energy into those lower branches so get rid of them quick. I would also raise the tie up about a foot to keep it as straight as possible.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 22:42 by 4 Seasons »

Totty

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 17:11 »
The two lower leaders need removing, no doubt. There is no benefit in leaving two bigger branches to form leaves and buds, only to remove them later on. Far better for the plants energy, especially as a very young tree, to be put into establishment and new, well positioned growth. Don't get too hung up on pruning at the moment though. Just remember to cut any top growth back to a bud, that faces the way you want another branch to grow. Get rid of everything misplaced, damaged or diseased.

Totty

xx
Can I prune my apple tree now

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 20, 2023, 21:46
by missmoneypenny
xx
Time to prune apple tree?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2014, 09:28
by PudsTree
xx
Apple Tree main trunk broken - prune or regraft?

Started by Carrotcake on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 21:01
by ilan
xx
Planted an apple tree today !

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 21:34
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 35 queries.