Apple tree and apple help...

• 3 Replies

Lardman

« on: October 25, 2008, 21:54 »
Theres a really untidy, unhealthy looking apple tree in the garden that I was going to remove. I hadn't bothered with the apples as most had insect damage and were about the size of a light bulb.

While I was cleaning up today I tried one of the apples and they were lovely - not like the nasty hard plastic things from the shops I remember.  So I've picked up a bucket full from the floor (none left on the tree after the recent winds) I feel the need for a pie or two and some apple sauce to go with Sunday dinner.

Can anyone ID the variety from the picture ?  

Also pointers to how to prune and feed it (it's a real mess !!) ideally to bring it back to useful productive tree.

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 22:17 »
Sorry, can't identify the variety as it's a UK one which we rarely get here. But for the pruning, I highly recommend you go to a good nursery/garden centre and ask who'd they recommend who can do the job. It's not something you tackle if you don't know it well as you can easily set the tree back many years by over pruning or inadvertently prune out fruiting spurs. A knowledgeable person can show you the whens and wheres. It'll cost a bit but well worth it in the long run. In the end you'll have a well shaped, thriving tree and possibly an identification.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 22:47 »
im sure that hugh fearnley whittingstall identified these as a form of coxs orange pippin on th river cottage program on friday! :lol:  i could be wrong though i have had a few to drink! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:  :roll:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

SG6

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:45 »
Will need examples of the blossom and leaves as well in order to identify. Not by me but somewhere like Brogdale.

Looking through a book of apples I have and with a simple guide of "That looks similar":

Laxtons Epicure,  James Grieve, Ellisons Orange, King of the Pippins, Charles Ross, Sunset, Ribston Pippin, Cox, Newton Wonder.
There are others that look like yours but as they are a little rarer I have ignored them. Irish Peach (looks very similar).

The Cox and Newton Wonder look most alike but the illustrations I have are illustrations not photographs.

As you say that the apples are good and the tree is OK, I would go off the idea of it being Cox. Seems that unless they are sprayed regularly they are susceptable to just about everything.

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Apple tree from a pip

Started by vikingraider on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 27, 2023, 12:48
by Anguswylie
xx
Apple tree

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:32
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 38 queries.