Preparing a Brassica Bed

• 5 Replies

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
Preparing a Brassica Bed
« on: March 06, 2011, 17:21 »
I've just returned from a back breaking day preparing two brassica beds, both 2.4m squared.

I have a problem with the soil acidity though.  I took measurements at 7 points across bot the beds and got wildly different readings.  At some points I got a neutral ph (yay!), at others ph 5.

I've added and forked through about 1kg garden lime per square metre and will test again in 2 weeks hoping for a neutral ph.  However, I am very concerned because of the wild difference in ph across the bed.

If some parts of the bed are still massively acidic when I check again in a couple of weeks how much lime should be added per square metre to reduce the acidity by 1 ph point?

Also, can I added BFB at the same time as lime or should I wait until i've got the acidity of the soil sorted out before fertilising?

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
Re: Preparing a Brassica Bed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 17:53 »
Hi mrs. sparkle.  I am a novice and am afraid can not help on the ph.  All I can say is I prepared my brassica bed for my winter veg and had an absolute disaster. I had treated the bed 2 months before with rotted manure and 2 weeks before planting I added some lime. I flatend bed with a roller before planting.  In went my plants, savoy, brussels, psb, cabbage january king.  Made a high cage and covered with enviormesh and waht a disaster. I had some surplus plants left over and gave them to a neighbour he just plonked them in done nothing to ground and did not cover them, he has had great success.  So it beats.  I am sure someone will be along soon to give you the advice you need.  ???

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 18:02 »
Hi mrs. sparkle.  I am a novice and am afraid can not help on the ph.  All I can say is I prepared my brassica bed for my winter veg and had an absolute disaster. I had treated the bed 2 months before with rotted manure and 2 weeks before planting I added some lime. I flatend bed with a roller before planting.  In went my plants, savoy, brussels, psb, cabbage january king.  Made a high cage and covered with enviormesh and waht a disaster. I had some surplus plants left over and gave them to a neighbour he just plonked them in done nothing to ground and did not cover them, he has had great success.  So it beats.  I am sure someone will be along soon to give you the advice you need.  ???

I think you may have added lime too soon after the manure.  I've read that you should add manure in sept/oct and leave it over winter.  You can then add lime in february or march.  I think if you put the lime down too soon it reacts with the manure and something goes wrong in the soil (i'm a newbie too so not sure what exactly)

greg.t

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 21:02 »
just lime the surface don't dig it in and leave until your ready to plant then add some fertilizer providing you've firmed the soil you should be ok.. ;)

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 13:10 »
Hi thanks both for helping me out with the lime problem.  Will do that this year. Thats what I love about this site you learn so much.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 15:20 »
I have 4 raised beds in which I rotate my veg each year. I don't dig the brassica bed after using it for beans, peas etc, but spread a layer of manure to overwinter. In spring, if necessary, I lime it and add BF and Bone about 2 weeks before planting. When I transplant my brassica seedlings, I plant them up to the first leaf and backfill, then really ram my fists around the plants, being careful not to squash the stem. This really firms them in well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Preparing new brassica bed

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 09:42
by mashbintater
xx
Preparing brassica bed for next year!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 18:21
by pigguns
xx
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 22:38
by John
xx
Preparing for winter?

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 15, 2014, 08:54
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 35 queries.