Caterpillars

• 3 Replies

sclarke624

Caterpillars
« on: June 29, 2007, 14:06 »
There was a nasty lime green smooth caterpillar on me Calabrese, is he poisonus?  Do you know what make he is?  Near him was some oozing muck with waht looked like eggs in it.  He was in the fridge with the calabrese. There were some yellow very light brown patches where the flowers are, and when rubbed seed shapes fell off, is this wheres hes eaten or going where the calabrese is going to seed, or rot starting.

Luckily I don't eat the calabrese my OH does what he don't know don't hurt him.

Ta
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Caterpillars
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 14:13 »
Probably a small cabbage white butterfly caterpillar, don't think they are poisonous, but never eaten one  :lol: the goo is probably poo.

Think you'll find the yellowing is due it starting to die after being cut, well that's what I assume when we get it, I just don't use that bit, either the hens or the guinea pigs get it.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

crowndale

Caterpillars
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 14:57 »
certainly sounds like a cabbage white butterfly catterpillar.  I had thousand sof these on my calabrese last year because I didn't net them then went on holiday for two weeks.  never seen anything like it, literally thousands of the wee beasties.  I remember my mum always soaked calabrese that was home grown in salty water, well even commercial grown back then, to kill off the bugs and catterpillars.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

sclarke624

Caterpillars
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 15:26 »
Of course, that could be the answer to get rid of the bugs, my mum used to  soak in salt water as well, before frozen food and large supermarkets were common.  

How times move on I'm only 50 but remember a small Tesco opening and it was not a place to go to get food as it was often more going off.  It was the local butchers or sainsburys, david greggs, and local grocers. When Tescos' food was finally passable it wasn't the place to go get clothes you would be laffed at.  

I got out of the habit of soaking in salt cos of buying in suprermarkets and frozen.  But now I will get back into the habit.

xx
Caterpillars

Started by Zinnia on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2012, 20:44
by angelavdavis
xx
first caterpillars

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:44
by goodegg
xx
Caterpillars already

Started by gtdevon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 09:54
by sunshineband
xx
Caterpillars

Started by Storeman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 15:07
by Trillium

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 32 queries.