Caterpillars

• 2 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Caterpillars
« on: July 19, 2009, 15:35 »
Argh .. i've been going out daily cleaning the eggs and caterpillars off my cabbages but they are starting to beat me.

they seem to manage to wiggle themselves down really deep into the hearts of the plants and i can't get to the little monster's without damaging the plants.

I've tried to net them but it's impossible, i've got some serious interplanting going on with tall plants at the back and the cabbages in the front, unfortunatly i have things like courgette's and peppers etc between the cabbages and netting the lot would prevent the pollenating insect's getting to the plants i need them to get to. Lessons have been learn't for next year thats for sure!!

I don't mind hand picking but im starting to feel like im fighting a loosing battle, i've been quite lucky with other insects and i didn't want to go down the chemical route but is there anything which is effective?? or does anyone have any better idea's?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 15:37 by DD. »

Trillium

Re: Caterpillars
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:18 »
The only thing that's safe at this stage is to take some true soap like Ivory (if it's available in the UK) and make a soapy solution and smother the beasties with the liquid. Don't use detergent soaps like washing up liquid as its not the same as true soap. They'll be smothered by the soap and cannot breathe through their bodies. Be sure to coat undersides of leaves as well. At harvest time I recommend a very thorough rinsing out first.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Caterpillars
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 16:51 »
You could try nematodes which only attack caterpillars. I think Defenders or something are the makers. Try googling them unless someone else can help.

xx
Caterpillars already!

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 20:57
by Salmo
xx
caterpillars

Started by shamina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 21:25
by Sven The Swede
xx
Caterpillars

Started by Zinnia on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2012, 20:44
by angelavdavis
xx
first caterpillars

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:44
by goodegg

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 33 queries.