Caterpillars!!!

• 10 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Caterpillars!!!
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:53 »
i seem to have loads of caterpillars all of a sudden appear!! how do i keep them off my crops!!

Nikkithefoot

Re: Caterpillars!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:59 »
You have to cover your crops before the butterflies can lay their eggs. Once you have caterpillars you need to pick them off by hand. Eggs can be rubbed off. If you leave them then you won't have any crops left.

I think there are sprays which will kill the caterpillars and reduce the risk of more, but I don't use them so can't advise.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

seaside

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 13:56 »
If you have access to a hosepipe, a proper spray of water in amongst the cabbage heads etc when you see them will dislodge them along with their muck. Can be more effective as sometimes it is difficult to see them. The plants get a water, it doesn't take long and is well worth it as plants can recover quite well, but can be all but destroyed if the pests are allowed to continue their munching.

If one hasn't netted, or at least not netted very well, if the plants are a reasonable size and you are up at the plot most days, you can wait until you see the first signs of trouble and nip it in the bud, but it's best to inspect diligently once a week.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 13:58 by seaside »

composthappens

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 17:47 »
what sort of caterpillars are they? if they are yellow and black striped ones they wont eat anything but ragwort and some other weeds. So don't squash them. ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 18:49 »
I keep repeating myself  ;) ..... if you don't net it - you don't get it  :nowink:

it really is that simple.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 05:50 »
what sort of caterpillars are they? if they are yellow and black striped ones they wont eat anything but ragwort and some other weeds. So don't squash them. ::)

Absolutely, CH, the Cinnabar Moth was introduced to control ragwort, which harms horses!

There are thousands of these caterpillars over at The Pinetum near here!

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:20 »
Would be useful to know what they are eating?

If its brassica family then cabbage white butterfly in which case as stated net.

The only thing I am growing in brassica is a couple of kale plants and rocket so I haven't bothered netting because it only takes couple of minutes a day to check and wipe off the eggs off the underside of the leaf. Of course the odd one does slip through the net and into the cooking bowl.

opps

BobE

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 14:45 »
Recently CQ suggested using a hosepipe to blast off caterpillars.  I did it today and it worked well.  Thanks CQ

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 14:49 »
but they just climb back up again - unless you squash them  :(

BobE

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 14:54 »
but they just climb back up again - unless you squash them  :(

Oh!!, do they?  Well I did it today, I will go see later on. (I hate squashiing things)

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 16:07 »
I've just found a few caterpillars on my Tomato plants, munching the leaves! :ohmy:
I've never had that before. They look like cabbage whites. I have so many cabbage white butterfly around here that they are laying on anything that doesn't move! They have laid on some radish leaves as well.

xx
Caterpillars

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 15:26
by sclarke624
xx
Caterpillars

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 16:51
by Greengirl
xx
caterpillars

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2006, 12:53
by milkman
sad
caterpillars

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 12:53
by maverick

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 41 queries.