coldframes.

• 5 Replies

johnny5

• Experienced Member
coldframes.
« on: January 10, 2011, 21:06 »
Hi, i am building 3 coldframes (newbie  to gardening) is there any type of lining required inside to maintain a good temp??
when it comes to age we are all on the same boat.......But some of us  have been on board that that little bit longer

Totty

Re: coldframes.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 21:13 »
if your building them from timber and glass or polycarbonate and make sure there are no big gaps a wouldnt worry too much about insulation. Generally coldframes are used to harden off plants or start off hardier plants. In a bid to keep warmth inside while its cold, you could add some bubble wrap.

Totty

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 23:07 »
Once you get past the ad, this is a very good idea. I'd go one better and get a higher weight of polystyrene, one you'd insulate a house with.

http://live.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/cold-frame-insulate/

noshed

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 23:14 »
In my opinion the great cold frames are built of scrap window frames and random stuff. Basically they will keep the frost off when it is light and be a handy temperature raiser in the spring.So do not over engineer them. You have to lift the lids in the summer.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:30 »
I built three around september from just scrap wood and some thick plastic that we had at work, I have planted carrots lettuce three types pak choi and chard in them they have all survived so far and the wood is not very thick at all.

Here are two of them just after I took them to the allotment

This was taken just before Christmas

johnny5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:19 »
cheers for that info folks.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.