why is it illegal to feed chickens food scraps?

• 17 Replies

Sassy

Re: why is it illegal to feed chickens food scraps?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:29 »
Hi there I share a plot with 6 chickens on it with my brother-in-law.  We have access to plenty of peelings, carrots/spuds etc..... why should we not utilise this? Why is it illegal? Or what is the logic behind it been illegal?

It is only illegal to feed scraps if they have been in a kitchen. If you prepare the veg! at your plot the peelings etc can be fed to the chooks :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36 »
As always with the law they cant condone this behaviour so they have to make a yay or nay decision with no middle ground however my way of interpreting these rules would be somewhere along the lines of...

If you have some veg on a plate that is left over from a roast dinner and the veg is covered in gravy or been on the plate next to meat then no dont feed it to the chicks and put it in the compost bin.
If you are preparing some veg for cooking and have been careful enough to use a seperate knife from the meat and a seperate chopping board then I personally cant see a problem with passing it onto the chicks.

In my personal opinion I think its very much a case of before its put on your plate or after. Before scraps are considered possibly less contaminated
After scraps would be considered contaminated

Also we store alot of our veg in a utility room so as its not a kitchen surely this would be considered not contaminated if I prepared it in the utility room?

As you can see people read between the lines with these kinda of laws so it is easier for DEFRA to put a blanket ban on feeding chicks scraps thus shrugging off responsibility of the matter but at the same time appearing to be responsible.

If you insist on feeding chicks kitchen scraps then make sure you have a sensible approach to hygene in your kitchen, seperate knives and chopping boards for meat and veg (this is a already known rule of thumb amoungst cooking novices). Clean your fridge regulary (once a fortnight or month keeps the dodgy smells at bay).

It must be noted I am not a spokesperson for DEFRA so the above is not a new ruling of any sort just my personal take on the matter.

Apart from the above I also give porridge to my chickens which I mix with water and blitz in the microwave, I even add a sprinkle of sugar.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 12:00 »
You may wish to bend your interpretation of the law to suit you but law is not like that.  The law is the law and if food has been in your kitchen it is illegal to feed it to your chickens - full stop.  If it has been in your utility room (not via your kitchen) then your chooks may have it.

Laws are NOT open to personal interpretation. 

I'll lock this topic now as we have been round and round the houses with it several times.

exclamation
It is illegal to feed chickens with waste food from your kitchen

Started by webwahm on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 07:14
by joyfull
xx
What scraps do you feed your chickens

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 23:58
by usefulgas
xx
How do I feed the chickens their scraps?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 09:09
by joyfull
xx
Illegal feeding scraps?

Started by featherhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 11:38
by pippa123

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 28 queries.