Wild garlic

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

Wild garlic
« on: March 18, 2022, 15:51 »
Hi, I want to plant some wild garlic. Because it can be invasive I was going to plant it in a flower bed that is entirely separate from the rest of the garden. In this bed I already have a healthy productive blackcurrant bush. Will the wild garlic swamp the blackcurrant or will they be OK together?

Candide

• Experienced Member
Re: Wild garlic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 22:31 »
Sorry, don't know answer to your question but my plot partner wanted some wild garlic.  We've got seeds which say sow in autumn but always missed the boat.  So, sowed some a few days ago to see what happens.
Do you intend to use seed or sets?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 14:17 »
I have seeds. The instructions are to sow the seeds indoors using normal potting compost in March time (or directly outside in April-June). I sowed mine 10 days ago and nothing has yet germinated. The seeds were packed in February 2021so maybe they are too old  :(

perris

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:41 »
be aware, wild garlic will self seed beyond any border you hope to set for it, but it's easy to pull up.
As for competing with a current, it's a short season - up now, flowering soon, died down by summer - and it seems to coexist quite happily with shrubs round here, but I don't know if the odour (which can be strong when it's in full flower) would attract or repel whatever insects the currant needs or hates.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 13:49 »
It's not a problem. I have wild garlic in the garden, in a piece of woodland I own next to the garden and around my greenhouse. Beautiful show of white flowers in April with peasant garlic odour and then it just dies back. As another poster noted, easily pulled up if it gets into unwelcome areas

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 00:06 »
Usually grows best in damp ish shaded areas also be sure to pick a leaf at a time to you don’t get any other weeds among it that could be poisonous bit unrelated but I thought I put it out there 👍

xx
Wild garlic

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 13:21
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
wild garlic

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 19:53
by flowerpower
xx
Wild garlic

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 00:26
by Salmo
xx
Wild garlic

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 13:28
by surbie100

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 41 queries.