Over-wintered stuff...

• 10 Replies

Rob the rake

Over-wintered stuff...
« on: March 16, 2022, 22:59 »
Is anyone else having trouble with sowing dates for winter/spring crops? The traditional sowing times for spring brassicas no longer seem appropriate, with spring caulis in particular coming well before the usual March/April harvesting period. I've seen them heading up before the turn of the year...and they say global warming's a myth. ::)

On the plus side, late sowings of calabrese and cos lettuce both came through the "winter" unscathed and have been ready for a month or so.

A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Snow

• Experienced Member
Re: Over-wintered stuff...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 08:23 »
It's been the mildest winter I can remember in Glasgow, and we have variable winters so that will always mess with when plants come ready. My autumn salads like mizuna,mibuna pak choi etc and mustard are still fine outside, they are flowering now though. They usually die with -5c frosts but we never went lower than about -3c.

Next winter we might hit -17c again, so I think we just have to accept a bit of variability

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 16:05 »
we have been growing over-wintering veg for several years now and although you do get some losses most of the varieties we have been growing seem to turn out alright

we just planted out spring cabbage we grew in the poly tunnel together with cauliflower plants spring onions and bulb onions down the allotments all over-wintered

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 21:37 »
Hi, have grown peas and broad beans in cold greenhouse for first time this winter now not sure what to do with them, do you harden off before planting out and protect if frosty? Both are coming into flower......

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 12:10 »
No, greenhouses get almost as cold as outside, so they are already hardened off. However all early plantings will benefit from a few weeks of cover with fleece. Get 30g per square meter stuff, not the cheapo stuff, and cover plants tightly. It should last a number of years then. Plants don't mind being squashed a bit by fleece

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 14:47 »
No, greenhouses get almost as cold as outside, so they are already hardened off. However all early plantings will benefit from a few weeks of cover with fleece.
Temperatures may not be much different at night, but if they've grown inside they aren't used to wind and rain, so I still harden stuff of under my hedge for protection.
If you are fleecing yours then maybe that counts as hardening them off under fleece?  :D

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 21:55 »
I guess so  :D , I tend to think of hardening off as taking plants out during the day then in at night for a bit. I never do that, just use fleece

Rob the rake

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 23:05 »
If I can just remake my initial point with a view to sparking off a discussion about it. With the tendency towards milder winters I'm having difficulty with timings for sowing winter/spring crops. For the last few years, Spring cauliflowers such as Armado April and similar - sowed at the recommended times for a March/April crop - have been maturing way too early, sometimes before the end of the year. Has anyone else noticed this trend and if so, have you had to adjust your sowing times and by how much?

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 16:59 »
I've not grown them for overwintering  for a few years but would sow in early summer, so June for spring cauliflowers. If they are heading up as early as you say for you then try early July maybe? 

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 21:15 »
I’m in London and I am not noticing things maturing too early, my PSB is just coming to ripeness, my spring caulis have not hearted up yet, my November planted broad beans are only about 5 inches tall and not in flower.

Rob the rake

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 22:52 »
I've not grown them for overwintering  for a few years but would sow in early summer, so June for spring cauliflowers. If they are heading up as early as you say for you then try early July maybe?
I've tried various sowing dates, getting later and later, over the last few years, but they're still heading up way too soon. I've grown these things for almost 30 years and they've always been as regular as clockwork until recent times. It's baffling. I may try sowing small batches at intervals this season and see what occurs.

xx
Over wintered onions.

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2020, 09:28
by mumofstig
xx
over wintered plants

Started by teena on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 01, 2008, 16:29
by Hampshire Hog
xx
over wintered spinich

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 09:22
by compostqueen
xx
Over-wintered Onions

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 21:48
by muntjac

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 45 queries.