Anyone using soaker hoses?

• 5 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Anyone using soaker hoses?
« on: June 09, 2014, 20:23 »
Hi

I've got soaker hoses going up and down each side of my 8x4 beds in the PT.  Trouble is I don't know when to have them on.  I started with every day for 15 mins but the soil seemed too damp.  Then every other day for 15 mins and now every 3rd day for 30 mins. All controlled by an automated timer.

If anyone has experience or suggestions as to how often and for how long they need to be on I'd be grateful.

All the best

Adri

Headgardener22

Re: Anyone using soaker hoses?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:10 »
Why not try putting the hose into a bucket or something and measure how much water comes out over a period of time.

I tried a "low pressure" soaker hose that was supposed to work from a water butt. It doesn't.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 22:00 »
I'm building a lean-to at the moment and watering was a concern of mine too, so I've been searching for solutions.

Yes I can water it each day by watering can, but I was hoping there would be a cheap and yet simple solution that would free up more time for sowing and harvesting...
Came across Ollas, clay pots buried in the beds that slowly release water, quite pricey, wonder if anyone has tried them? leaky hose seems to get things very wet? that leaves drip systems, some seem reasonably priced, not sure how well they work?

Anyone care to share their experiences with any of the above? or what works for you?
tia

Cheers
Best Regards,

spud

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12 »
I have been using drip hoses.  Quite successful if you make sure that the holes do not get bunged up with soil and the calcium that's in the water.  I spent an afternoon pin-pricking all the holes to clear them, and then flushing  the C**P out of the pipes as I use grey water.
Now what shall I do today?

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:15 »
We have used the soaker hoses from Poundland running off water butts to great effect to water beans and peas.  Put the butts on in the evening and fill up again the next day.  Peas and beans can't seem to get enough water as it swells the crop to give a great harvest.

In the autumn we blast the hoses via the mains water and they're ready for the following year.

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:09 »
Why not try putting the hose into a bucket or something and measure how much water comes out over a period of time.

I tried a "low pressure" soaker hose that was supposed to work from a water butt. It doesn't.

I used a pin to make some holes in the soaker hose (about every 4 inches) and that worked fine. The waterbutt fills when it rains and takes about 3 days to empty.

xx
Soaker Hoses

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 20:05
by Eblana

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 35 queries.