Soaker Hoses

• 11 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Soaker Hoses
« on: October 09, 2013, 17:37 »
Hi

I've set up a PT with 8 x 8' by 4' beds.  I've decided to go with drip/soaker hoses to water if possible.

How many of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-15m-50ft-GARDEN-IRRIGATION-WATERING-PERFORATED-POROUS-SOAKER-HOSE-PIPE-/271271179326?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item3f2905b43e

Would you say could be strung together?  I think I'll need a few in order to water so many beds.

Any comments welcome.

TIA

Adri

adri123

• Experienced Member
Re: Soaker Hoses
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 17:51 »
Also,  as a follow up question.  I have an overhead sprinkler system that came with the PT.  Having decided not to use it I'm now thinking if I could use it for part of the PT.  Eg.  Use the soaker hoses for the raised beds and the sprinkler for above seed trays on staging...or something like....

Again, comments/suggestions very welcome.

TIA

Adri

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 18:27 »
Depends on your water pressure, but based on my experience I would expect that 50' was close to the max.  We connect the hose to a Tee in the middle of our soaker hoses to even out the pressure in the water heading towards each end, as I found connecting the hose to one end the plants near that got a lot more water than the ones at the far end.  Soaker hose bend double [at the ends] and tied tight with wire, or perhaps a pull tie, will effectively shut off the end.

We use a 1/2" barbed Tee (the type used to connect drip irrigation distribution smooth-pipe) in the middle of the soaker hose, a short piece of the 1/2" smooth distribution-pipe on that, terminated with a hozelock connector (actually we use Geka fittings but Hozelock will do, we just don't find that they last as long), and then attach the hose to that.  Its quite hard to get ordinary hose onto the 1/2" barbed connectors, but easier with the smooth pipe (which can be dipped in hot water if it is hard to get on).

Keep it clean when not in use, otherwise the soil falling inside will tend to block the pores.

We use 3/4" hose, rather than 1/2", as it maintains pressure much better. Probably no issue up to 25M, not significant to 50M, but definitely significant here over 50M (I have some timings of how long it takes to fill a bucket at various lengths for 1/2" and 3/4" comparison if anyone is interested ...)

I would use capillary matting, rather than overhead watering, for seedlings, and I wouldn't use overheat watering for crops like Tomatoes (likely to help blight) and Cucumbers (ditto Botrytis) and crops like Lettuce as it tends to splatter the earth and some winds up inside the lettuce heart as it grows.  You could "replenish" the water in the capillary matting with soaker hose down the middle (between trays / pots)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 18:29 »
P.S> The picture in your link looks more like smooth-pipe than soaker hose, but the description sounds OK.  I trust that it won't be smooth pipe with a small hole every foot or two, as that won't be as effective as soaker hose.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 18:35 »
Thx Kristen.

To be honest the overhead sprinkler thing was bought out of ignorance and I regret the purchase now.  Won't get used.

The setup you have is similar to what I had thought of.  T junction splitting the water feed to the soakers.

Will check out the 3/4 pipe.  May have to use what we already have which I suspect is 1/2.  Will try it and see.

Capillary matting fed by soaker sounds perfect.

Pity about the overhead kit...it'll have to go on ebay...

Cheers

Adri

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 19:22 »
May have to use what we already have which I suspect is 1/2.  Will try it and see.

My suggestion would be you time how long it takes to fill a couple of buckets direct from the tap, and then time again with the full length of hose connected, and see how much difference you have.

Pity about the overhead kit...it'll have to go on ebay...

You may turn a  profit :)  <FingersCrossed>

adri123

• Experienced Member

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 19:04 »
Does this look more like it?

Yup  :)

More expensive per metre though  :(

Cheapest I found was £46.00 for 100M
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281176357457

Eblana

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 23:42 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardeners-Choice-50M-Soaker-Hose-/281176357454?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item41776aba4e

This is the one I used and it worked a dream.  I have three beds in my Pt each of which is 20 ft long x 3 ft wide.  I got one of these 50 meter lengths, cut it into three and then looped it around each of the beds about six inches in from the edge all around.  It is buried about 4 inches below the soil and it runs off a 1000 ltr IBC with a timer.  I ran an ordinary hose in from the IBC to a splitter and then attached each beds soaker hose to one outlet on the splitter so that I can switch beds off if not in use.  I didn't bother with pt sprinkler system as I didn't have enough pressure for water to get to it.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 23:56 »
Just a point in case anyone gets caught out:

Not all timers will work with a gravity feed - e.g. water butt or IBC.  Many of them need high water pressure to enable the valve to shut off, and there isn't enough water pressure to do that job on a gravity feed - particularly when the tank is nearly empty :)

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:32 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardeners-Choice-50M-Soaker-Hose-/281176357454?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item41776aba4e

This is the one I used and it worked a dream.  I have three beds in my Pt each of which is 20 ft long x 3 ft wide.  I got one of these 50 meter lengths, cut it into three and then looped it around each of the beds about six inches in from the edge all around.  It is buried about 4 inches below the soil and it runs off a 1000 ltr IBC with a timer.  I ran an ordinary hose in from the IBC to a splitter and then attached each beds soaker hose to one outlet on the splitter so that I can switch beds off if not in use.  I didn't bother with pt sprinkler system as I didn't have enough pressure for water to get to it.

Nice. For tomatos how often and how long to you set the timer for?
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Eblana

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 20:05 »
I have a hose lock battery operated timer. It is set to water for an hour a day and it has worked great for the last two years.  I do give the tomatoes an extra hour or so when I am on the plot by overriding the timer if it has been very warm and I also feed them once a week but the auto system took the real pressure off me as the plot is a good distance away and I used to work long hours which made getting there during the week a little hit and miss. I will try get some pictures of the set up when I am up at the plot in the morning and post them up for you

xx
Anyone using soaker hoses?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 09:09
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 36 queries.