Ivy roots

• 3 Replies

Lardman

Ivy roots
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:33 »
When I moved in here there was ivy growing on the front of the house. I managed to get rid of most of it but unfortunately the suckers have left an awful mess.

The problem is its a rough render painted with textured paint rather than brick work, I've read all the wire brush, scrapper and blow torch tips but I either destroy the render / paintwork or leave most of tendrils behind. 

Anyone have any really clever solutions, chemicals or techniques they would share with the class?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Ivy roots
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:34 »
If the roots have penetrated the paint surface the damage has already been done; if not I would suggest a pressure washer is the least damaging technique to use.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 15:00 »
Can you not use a scraper to get the thick of it off and then paint over it with the textured paint?
I've seen what your on about on other houses and in some respects the fact that yours is rendered and painted is better, as like i said you can paint over it to hide it mostly.

Andy

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 16:33 »
if avoiding doing damage is the priority just leave them to dry through the summer and freeze thro a winter and then brush off. Anyother method risks damage that will have to be repaired.
Sorry.
R

xx
old bush roots

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 21:07
by Trillium
xx
conifer roots

Started by casper on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 19:18
by casper
xx
Leylandi roots

Started by crowndale on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 23:01
by David.
xx
Tree roots

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 18:37
by Wild Pony

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 40 queries.