how many give up after first year?

• 24 Replies

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Re: how many give up after first year?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 12:14 »
As some who waited ages for a plot I am definitely carrying on after this my first year. Still not got on top of my plot but as Jean (one of the older allotment holders) likes to say: "Rome wasn't built in a day!" Where I feel sad is when someone has had to give up due to ill health. That has happened for two of our plot holders this year, such a shame after they have been on their plots for so long. Trouble is it takes no time for the weeds to overtake all their efforts.
 How many hours a week do you think it needs to keep on top of a normal sized allotment once you have got on top of it? I read in a book by Joy Larkcom over Christmas that she reckons 4 hours a week as a bare minimum and she thought probably 8 hours a week is more realistic. I would be interested to know how many hours people think it takes. And that's when you are on top of it. I think it takes a lot more than that initially when you take over a jungle of weeds.  Life gets in the way sometimes - a good friend of mine died of cancer and with the visiting him regularly the plot suffered in the summer. And then some local yuff decided to burn down my neighbour's shed and that destroyed the greenhouse I had inherited. It's been an interesting year all in all!! Hopefully I will get on top of everything this year :lol:

ApprenticeGardener82

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 12:27 »
read in a book by Joy Larkcom over Christmas that she reckons 4 hours a week as a bare minimum and she thought probably 8 hours a week is more realistic. I would be interested to know how many hours people think it takes.

As a newbe that knows nothing, my 1/3 of a plot (Portsmouth city council only gives out small plots now it seems) I spent 2 hrs a week, that was enough to keep on top of the weeds. The old boys take the mick a bit that I don't have any weeds and it's super "neat" lol

Mr Dog

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 14:02 »
I was one of 7 who became new plot holders in September 2013. There are now 4 of us left - 2 dig and weed at the start of the year but grow nothing and a third now has 2 plots but only uses them for growing weeds and keeping hens and ducks (he gets a warning letter after every inspection, simply cuts the weeds down and then waits for the next one) - with the other 3 giving up after a year or less. Plenty of others have come and gone since then too. There are also quite few long term plot holders who either grow nothing or don't harvest what they do grow and end up digging it all up and composting the following spring. I'm sure there must be a logical reason but it has always escaped me why anyone would pay £50-70 a year for the privilege of doing that  ??? The site secretary tries to get those who do care for their plots to move down to the 'better' end of the site (clay's a bit deeper down, much less prone to winter flooding, there's fewer weeds about and, as yet, the marestail hasn't reached there) as and when plots become available.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 15:45 »
The old boys take the mick a bit that I don't have any weeds and it's super "neat" lol

That's the old boys saying you are doing well and they approve  :lol:  They always wrap praise in jokey banter or in between telling you about all the things you are doing wrong  ;)

I have what counts as a full plot on my site, but it is split into 2 pieces in different areas.  When you are clearing a plot, it takes as many hours as you have.  Now it gets what it gets depending on work, weather and wot not.  Some is laid out to fruit and mulched heavily to keep the weeds down.  I also grow squash, potatoes and other 'big stuff' that does some work for me keeping weeds at bay.  I reckon Joy wasn't far wrong with 4 hours as a minimum but ideally double that over the main growing season.

Mine are far from super neat, but I get loads of crops and I applaud anyone that can manage weedlessness  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 16:21 »
Sunshineband, Totally agree, my costings v value produced show a "profit" of £650 this year.

Well done Aidy! It gives an extra enjoyment that we are saving money as well as gaining better health.

We had to give our plot up as the balance between enjoyment with the children over work needed was all wrong, plus we moved house and had a longer walk to the plot as well.

Now, our grandchildren love coming with us, and grow veg in their own garden too. Th biggest difference is that they don't have to come with us every time we go, so is stays fun
Eh????
Did I say that wi owt moving me lips  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 17:29 »
When we took on a slopping overgrown plot with a falling down shed, i made a spreadsheet of outgoings and harvests taken home at shop prices.
Everything we paid for, including petrol to fetch manure, etc and take pick up and take my pal home, was itemised.
It took 18 months to break into profit. We had it 5 years until family problems forced us to give it up.
We had a right laugh during those 5 years and we left the soil in much better condition than we found it.
But, since we gave it up 5 years ago our old plot has had 4 tenants who all set off like a clockwork toy and soon tailed off.

Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

rowlandwells

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 10:39 »
its a real shame to see allotments going  back to nature and from your replies its general is it because of other commitments not enough time  inexperience in gardening or just can't be bothered I think when people watch Monty on gardeners world it looks so easy which is I'm afraid is  a misconception of gardening because as gardeners we all know it can be very labour intensive

I think most of my fellow gardeners are retired but  there are several women gardeners on the allotments that do a good job growing veg

you would have thought being a village with only a small amount of allotments there would be a waiting list but I counted 5 plots not cultivated this year some started some not the plot next to me was vacant for some time and then it was taken on sprayed ploughed rotovated and planted things where happening so I thought then they stopped coming and it quickly went  back to nature

years ago we had far more allotments and a waiting list as long as your arm and they where all done but as the allotments where unattended they where sold of for development we also had what we call roadside gardens pieces of ground next to the road that where free to those who cultivated them those to where all gardened how times change in those days people relied on there allotments to feed there families with fresh veg on the table no supermarkets in those days and you where expected to help your dad on the plot before going out to play if you wanted your belly filled  :D

that's the past as they say the present day gardening seems to be more on raised beds and poly tunnels
its what I call the modern take on gardening is it better than the old fashioned way don't know will the allotment ever get back to a waiting list only time will tell I suppose as long as there's  retired people wanting to grow fresh veg or spend time on the allotment plot then we can keep allotments going as it would be a real shame to see allotments disappear to modern development

my allotments are  part of my way of life I cal it garden therapy and I wouldn't give that up unless circumstances forced me well motorists would certainly miss me trailing behind me on my 1954 ferguson tractor doing 5MPH  going to the allotments because many of those know me they always put two finger up when they eventually manage to pass me happy gardening for 2018  :D :D :D

al78

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 00:35 »
Sunshineband, Totally agree, my costings v value produced show a "profit" of £650 this year.
If one was to include a labour charge, however, the costs would be totally different, but no one adds labour costs to their shopping trips!

The labour of shopping in a supermarket is a lot less than growing your own veg*, but the extra time taken growing your own keeps you fit so you don't need to pay for a monthly gym membership.

*unless your supermarket is full of people that go fiddle faff fiddle faff fiddle fiddle fiddle where-did-I-put-it when asked to pay for their shopping, despite having just stood idle in the queue for 10 minutes.  :lol:

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 06:57 »
I've had my plot since March,  its bigger than average with a full hedge to maintain and so much rubbish buried we still have a way to go with clearing it.  I absolutely love it and wish I didn't have to  work so I could be there more. It most certainly has been hard work, but I am lucky as my hubby has helped massively.
For me it is mental and physical therapy, but If anyone took on an allotment without any gardening knowledge I can see how they mighty become demoralised!  As we all know, with growing you are playing the long game, not much instant gratification!

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 11:14 »
I have had my half plot for 3 years now, I agree the first year was a nightmare I had a difficult plot to clear, but still managed to get some crops, however in the 2nd year things were getting easier as I became more organised.

Fast forward to 2017 and "life" just got in the way I found it really hard to tend my plot and sit my bookkeeping exams, however thanks to the support of my chap we still enjoyed some homegrown fruit & veggies.  Roll on 2018, I still have more exams to sit but still plan on keeping my little plot, I have just had to downscale my plans and plant a smaller variety of fruit and veg, but bring on the challenge I say as I love being outdoors and even smaller harvests are better than none!!

xx
give us our daily bread

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2022, 09:54
by lettice
xx
The Daily Funny - Give us a Laugh!

Started by davethespread on Chatting on the Plot

4196 Replies
Last post May 05, 2023, 19:10
by Subversive_plot
xx
What a year

Started by Eblana on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 18:05
by rowlandwells
xx
A better new year

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 28, 2023, 07:01
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 49 queries.