Re: Dreading tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 21:20 »
He’s a tough cat.  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 23:42 »
Have only just caught up with this thread and so pleased to read the happy ending  :D
It's looking promising but we're not quite there yet. Just got to hope he doesn't start messing with the wound. Usually they put a lampshade (buster collar) on them but we don't think he'd tolerate it. The vet thought his mood would improve though as he's not in constant pain with it.
He's eaten tonight which is always a good sign.
I was thinking whilst waiting for him in the vets, the dogs must think it's weird that all the humans have been muzzled!  :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 10:35 »
Quick update. He's looking OK. I can't say happy, cat's aren't meant to be kept in a cage, but comfortable. He's eating well - ate all his breakfast and demanded more so some extra was delivered. Little worried that we won't be able to get him out of there if he keeps eating at this rate!
The surgery looks very good - when our cat Niblet lost an eye it wasn't as neat but she was injured so they were sorting out a mess rather than from the ideal starting point.
I didn't get a photo yet but I will. I'll spare you a close up - you may be as squeamish as I am!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 13:14 »
Give him a hug from us !      :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 13:26 »

Are you wishing harm upon John?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 13:37 »
It's hard to type with bleeding stumps at the end of my arms :)
Some photos - first is how his eye looked despite everything pre-op and a couple from today. He needs some dental work but the vet felt it would increase the risk of a wound infection in the eye so that joy is being saved for another day.
They've done a fantastic job. Remember the fur around the eye has been shaved so not as bad as it looks.
He's showing all the signs of feeling better than he has for weeks - definitely wants out now.
rufus121120.jpg
rufus121120a.jpg
rufus281020a.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 13:55 »
Looks good.  Tell him to look after the other one  :nowink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 17:34 »
He seems to be just as capable of a withering ‘How dare you’ look even with the one eye.  Heaven help you when he gets out of that cage   :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 18:29 »
He actually allowed me to stroke him when he ate tonight! I think his mood is much improved by not being tortured by us putting the ointment into his eye and not having the nagging pain that really sore infection. One of the vets said 'he loves you really' - hahaha - he tolerates us and any love is cupboard love. But we love him. I strongly believe that if you take on a pet or any animal, you must do your best by it. Even if the bill puts your retirement back by a month!!  :D
I'm really glad we had the operation done, despite my doubts we'd be able to provide the aftercare. Happily all we have to do is dose his food with Metacam and a tranquilliser that's got him pretty chilled out. I really was a wreck the morning of the operation.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 20:05 »
My good friend in the US of A once said of his spoiled and indulged cats "The world is a pretty terrible place, but for you, I will make it heaven". Slightly censored to remove his cussin' but it always stuck with me. You can't really change much in the grand scheme of things in this world but you can make your pets have the happiest possible life and I always think that is the mark of a good person.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 22:47 by Plot 1 Problems »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 20:37 »
Nuffin’ wrong in making a pet’s life wonderful  :)

Cats expect that as standard and complain loudly at anything less.

He actually allowed me to stroke him when he ate tonight!

Now he is not in pain and thinking straight, he’s clocking all this up as reasons you owe him big time  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 21:36 »
all we have to do is dose his food with Metacam and a tranquilliser that's got him pretty chilled out.
Perhaps you need a few doses yourself after coping with it all for the last few days  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 23:48 »
Well it's been pretty stressful for him but I think next week will be a lot easier when he's back out with his friends. For me, the stress scale is pretty low now I know I made the right choice.
They're incredible creatures, so totally stoic.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2020, 12:21 »
Just a quick update. After speaking with the vets and sending photos of the operation site, we've let him back out. He's wandered around the house sniffing everything, been outside and come back in and all seems to be well. Obviously we need to keep a close watch in case things go wrong but, fingers crossed! :)

I was talking to him last night and found myself saying "We'll have to keep an eye on you. Oh, sorry! No offence" Maybe this social isolation thing has finally got me  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2020, 12:31 »
At least he came back, so having him treated didn't make him decide to avoid you all together, you must have been forgiven  :lol:

xx
i'm going to see a rescue dog tomorrow

Started by Nicki85 on Pets without Feathers

70 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 12:48
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 56 queries.