Q about broodiness behaviour plus limping

• 4 Replies

rosie14

Q about broodiness behaviour plus limping
« on: September 13, 2011, 22:45 »
Hi all everything's been going really well apart from my broody (chick just turned 4 weeks old!)having a limp. Soon after going broody she began limping a little but I thought this was kind of stiffness from sitting for such long periods (I was having to lift her twice a day) as it would ease the more she walked about. However she's still the same all these weeks on, a gentle kind of limp. It doesn't seem to be hindering her or anything but she's still spending lots of time nestled down with her baby is that normal behaviour after this amount of time or maybe her weight affecting her leg?? I don't know enough about either  ???. She's a big bird as she's an Orpington and has regained her normal weight nicely once her foster baby came along  ;) I've had a good feel about from toes to thigh and she seems comfortable even with rotation, there's nothing obvious at all.....I'm confused. What do you think? Will a vet be able to help?

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Q about broodiness behaviour plus limping
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20 »
If you've had a really good look and feel, and you're sure there is no break and no infection, then I would suggest there would be little a vet could do.

Sometimes heavy birds like Orpingtons get joint problems from jumping down off perches that are too high, especially onto hard surfaces.  I presume she's not roosting on her perch at night if she is still snuggling with her chick?  Now would be a good time to check the height of any perches and make sure she can get on and off them easily.

Before I had chickens I thought all birds were somehow delicate and graceful.  I no longer have that illusion.  I was sitting on a step the other day when one of my Barred Rocks came to join me.  As she jumped down each wooden step I could feel the THUMP of her landing!  :lol:  I made a mental note to install one more perch in the coop on a lower level so they don't have so far to jump down each morning.

rosie14

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 20:30 »
Hi thanks for reply, I'm enclined to think you're right re jumping down and landing awkwardly or similar sprain/pull type injury. There's no way it's a break! :ohmy: And I've not gone down the vet route as I don't think they can do anything either as you say, it's not hindering her either tbh. I really think it's a big bird thing! Also they don't use the perches ever they go into the nesting boxes which are something like a foot off of the ground with solid ladder etc.

Your chickens sound like heffers too  :tongue2: !! x

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 22:10 »
...Your chickens sound like heffers too  :tongue2: !! x

They tell me they are just "big boned"  ::)

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 19:14 »
...Your chickens sound like heffers too  :tongue2: !! x

They tell me they are just "big boned"  ::)

mwahhhhhhhhhhhh love that !!!!  :tongue2:

xx
Broodiness

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 20:03
by muntjac
xx
Broodiness

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 11:18
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Broodiness

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 17:56
by viettaclark
xx
Broodiness

Started by Budboy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 13:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 33 queries.