To much info

• 3 Replies

brrian

To much info
« on: June 19, 2011, 14:11 »
Hi again over the last few weeks I have read loads about suppliants potions and powders to maintain healthy chicks. They are about 14 weeks and up to press I have only feed then with grower pellets they are confined to a run at present but hope to free range when we are in and they can give the local cats a run for their money. I am hoping for a list of essentials to give the chicks  a healthy life hope you can help thanks

daisy1990

Re: To much info
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 20:30 »
If they have a well balanced diet (growers pellets then layers pellets) and occasional treats (greens, corn, mealworms etc) in small amounts they dont need supplements.  Some people like to add things like Cider Vinegar to their water and others have suggestions for tonics for when hens become unwell, but like in humans supplements are not necessary if a balanced diet is taken and the hen is not ill
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:05 »
You can switch them to layers pellets at about 17 weeks.  Fresh clean water each day and otherwise as daisy says they will do fine.

You will need to worm them around 4 times a year if you keep them on the same ground.  Flubenvet is the standard wormer which is safe and works effectively on a broad range of different worm species which many organic wormers don't.

Red Mite is the other scourge of chicken keepers and chickens.  Don't waste your money on ineffective powders sold over the counter at feed merchants. Use a pesticide on the house which has a residual effect.  Checkout this site when you need information on an effective treatment.

HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08 »
I agree with daisy and Hillfooter - the commercially-available foods are really all they need for a balanced diet, along with plenty of fresh, clean water.  Everything else is optional.

I am one of the people who likes to feed a bit of this and a bit of that, just because it's fun and interesting and might have some benefits.  But I agree there is a huge amount of information out there, and it can be very confusing, so just stick to the basics and your chickens will be fine.  :)

xx
need info on foxes

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 09:44
by Paul Plots
xx
chicken info please

Started by pumpkinpatch on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 11:05
by pumpkinpatch
xx
Please can anyone help my friend with info??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 11:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
Moulting info

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 08:49
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 28 queries.