Cherry brandy and damson gin

• 7 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Cherry brandy and damson gin
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:37 »
Not that i'm a alchy or anything  :lol:  but i still have about 20lbs of Damsons left and managed today to find an unpicked wild cherry tree, bursting with free fruit and managed to get about 6/7lbs off there. I want to make some cherry conserve with most of them but would like a crack at some tipples to knock back over Christmas. Has anyone made either of these liquers and can they give me an idiot proof recipe for them!!!

Thanks so much, RD.

Livinhope

Re: Cherry brandy and damson gin
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 14:19 »
Not those but another one you may like to try if you haven't already is sloe gin.  We have some now which my daughter made 5 years ago.  Commonly known as the 'knicker blaster' ::) it's lethal and is more of a liquer.  All you do with that is put the sloes in a bottle and top up with gin, leave for a 12 month and wey hey :tongue2:

Would you not do the same with the brandy and cherries?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 14:31 »
I made damson gin last year.  It was a pound of damsons. 75cl bottle of gin and 4-6 ozs sugar depending on taste.

Wash the damsons, stab all over with the tines of a fork and place in a large glass jar.  Add sugar and gin, seal the jar and wait as long as you can to drink it.  I made mine when the damsons were ready last year and it was perfect by Christmas.
Cheese makes everything better.

catllar

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 15:23 »
I've done this and it works: 1kg cherries, 250g caster sugar, 80cl brandy, 1 vanilla pod per jar. put cherries in a large bowl ( you can prick them a few times first if you like).Sprinkle onthe sugar and give it a stir. Cover and leave overnight for the juice to soften the sugar a bit. Next day divide the fruit between a couple ofpreserving jars, divvy up the brandy, add vanilla pod if using. Seal and leave them for at least 6 weeks in a dark place.

Matthew Gayles

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 22:31 »
i suppose its the same as sloe gin but with damsons. Buy Cheapest gin from supermarket, about 5-10 whole blanched almonds, about a quarter of a bottle of granulated sugar and a quarter of a bottle of damsons. If you freeze them and then let them defrost, poke them with a knife it speeds the whole process up - you must leave them for a minimum of 3 months. I had 10 year old damson gin once and it was smooooooth ( raspy voice ).

good though! very fun game at Christmas - pass round the bottle of sloe gin.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 22:39 »
Cherry brandy is the same principle as sloe gine BUT use half brandy and half vodka for the best outcome. Less sugar than sloe gin too.

We made balckberry brandy last year and it was lush :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 17:45 »
I've been chomping on the bit about the damson gin again too. Last years was opened and consumed Christmas night without me as I was driving.  >:(

Buy Cheapest gin from supermarket

I used gordons last year  ::) I was looking to make more, much more this year but Im not sure if its "gin" or "dry gin" I need ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 19:43 »
Either  :lol:

xx
Cherry Brandy

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 23:15
by Auntiemogs
xx
Sterilising swing top bottles for Cherry Brandy

Started by rhysdad on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 10:02
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Brandy

Started by Sparkie on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 16:25
by Sparkie
question
Blackberry Brandy

Started by Jaybly on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 14:40
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 35 queries.