layers or a mix of corn and layers?

• 5 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
layers or a mix of corn and layers?
« on: June 14, 2010, 18:43 »
hi all,

what do people recomend to feed their chooks.

im currently feeding mine on about 50/50 of layers and mixed corn, they were POL when i got them and that was about 6 weeks ago, they are all laying daily and seem happy but just wanted to check that im not giving them too much or too little of layers or corn?
advice would be aprreciated.
thanks
scott 

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
Re: layers or a mix of corn and layers?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 19:21 »
i feed mine just layers pellets for the main part of their diet. They have corn as treat because i heard too much corn makes them fat and fat hens dont lay well. But im quite new to this too.
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

hendreary

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 19:51 »
Mine have a staple diet of layers and I use corn as a bribe. Or sometimes just a treat!
Geoff Davis. :)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 20:06 »
Mine have access to pellets all the time and I give them a handful of corn a day as a treat. I have 18 chickens, so a handful is fine for them, but if you don't have as many as 18 don't give them more than a handful  :).
All lives are precious.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:22 »
If they are laying hens and you are giving them 50/50 there is a very good chance they will get fat, and fat hens are more prone to prolapses as being fat makes it harder to lay eggs.

Also, if they are only eating approx 75g of layers a day, there is a chance they aren't getting the correct nutrients (minerals and vitimins as well as calcium) which couls also lead to problems.

I would cut out all grain for a couple of weeks, and feed only layers and some mixed greens, then you can reintroduce a little grain on an evening - approx 1tblsp per hen.

As a general rule, treats (which grain is included, but not greens) should make up less than 5% of a hens diet.

jamima

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 12:44 »
I feed mine 50/50 layers pellets and corn, i have 3 hens and i get 3 eggs  a day, give them some greens as a treat , just following the breeders advice and they seem to b fine, they do have a big garden to run that fat off !

xx
best layers

Started by brookegard on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 10:34
by brookegard
xx
New layers

Started by jaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 17:50
by andreadon
xx
LAYERS MASH

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 10:41
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Best Bantam layers?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 18:47
by mickwood

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 35 queries.