cockerel

• 7 Replies

Hooee

• lou
cockerel
« on: February 25, 2010, 17:40 »
can you still eat the eggs if you have a cockerel,also the article iI have read says collect the eggs to be hatched and store them in a cool dry place until you have enough for her to sit on. surley once they are cold there no longer going to hatch. confused, don't mean to be dence just  a learner. ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 20:52 by DD. »
ho hum !

lisa80

Re: cockeril
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 17:56 »
hi there, yes you can still eat the eggs  :)also its right about collecting eggs ,i presume you mean to go under a broody hen? im told 7 or so for a large bird the fresher the better incubation starts once they are sat on and warm  :) :)im no expert but i hope this helps :) :)

Hooee

• lou
Re: cockeril
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 20:39 »
thanks lisa, do you know how many days/hours your eggs can stay cold before you put the hen on to sit, I've only got four girls and it would take me a couple of days to get the amount i need, do you see what I mean ? it's a bit hard to explain!!  :wub:

too many girls

Re: cockerel
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 20:55 »
i wouldn't set eggs that were more than 4 to 5 days old, the older the egg the less likely it is to hatch, having said that i found a cobb hen on a clutch of 12, so the first egg must have been 12 days old, only 8 hatched as the rest were duds.

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 21:03 »
i agree tmg  :) im pretty new to this currently have my cukoo maran on 6 blue laced wyndotte eggs .the eggs will be cold pretty soon after laying i think .we only moved our broody girl because she kept sitting in the favorite nest box and keeping the eggs warm which we didnt want so have put her in a little brooder with some proper fertile eggs(we have no cockerel)are you asking because your planning to try and hatch some hooee?? :)

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 21:07 »
I'm funny about giving fertilised eggs to other people, however will eat them myself. Duno why cos theres nothing wrong with them!
I have successfully hatched eggs at a week old. Think, if you buy eggs from ebay or at an auction they will always be upto a week old.

Steve

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 21:19 »
its not so much that the eggs are fertile that bothers me just the fact that masala has been half baking them  :)just dont like the idea of them being warmed up :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 21:45 »
You can keep eggs to incubate upto 3 weeks, as long as you turn them at least 3 times a day,  they have much more chance of being fertile the less time you keep them though, I prefer to incubate them at less than 1 week old.
Fertile eggs apparently are more healthy, (just as long as they are fresh).

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

xx
cockerel

Started by samuria on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:32
by Raven81
question
Mean cockerel!!!!!!!!!

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 17:28
by ANHBUC
xx
Cockerel

Started by turners on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 01:09
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Little Cockerel

Started by RobfromDeal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 14:57
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 36 queries.