Info about dead hen

• 7 Replies

Josie

Info about dead hen
« on: April 23, 2007, 16:55 »
HI,
I had 4 hens and last week one of them took unwell :( , I thought it could be egg bound but her tummy swole up and was hard as a rock. I put some oil round her bottom, brought her into the house as I thought some heat might help her , she was breathing a bit heavy as well. On sat night she went to chuck heaven and I would lreally like to know wot was wrong with her in case it happened again. I read about apple cider vinegar and have know started to give it to the other 3plus I feed layers pellets and oats. Anyone have any ideas wot may have been the problem??
I just joined your forum today and its been really interesting reading all the messages  :)

WG.

Info about dead hen
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 17:00 »
Sorry about your chook Josie & sorry I can't help with advice.   But WELCOME to the forum!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Info about dead hen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 17:33 »
A big welcome Josie  :D

Almost impossible to say what your poor chook died of I'm afraid.  She could have been egg bound, or have had egg peritonitis or a number of other things.  Your feeding plant is good in my opinion.  Bury her somewhere nice and say a few words.    :D

Josie

Info about dead hen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 17:47 »
Thanks for your replies and the welcome   :) Gertrude is just like her  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Info about dead hen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 17:52 »
Gertrude is a menace of a chicken, into everything, life and soul of the garden  :lol:

mercury

Info about dead hen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 21:26 »
Sorry about your chuck josie, but go easy on the oats, they tend to make them fat, better off with wheat :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Info about dead hen
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32 »
OH always says chooks can just die.  Apparently healthy birds just topple over.  I've alwys thought this strange, but have spoken to comercial breeders and they say the same.  

You can have a good chook farm that  looks after its birds, but they still hve to go round daily picking up the dead ones.

By the way Aunty, I got the purple stuff, and the chook with the pecked vent is looking much better now!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Info about dead hen
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 17:33 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
OH always says chooks can just die.  Apparently healthy birds just topple over.  I've always thought this strange, but have spoken to commercial breeders and they say the same. You can have a good chook farm that  looks after its birds, but they still have to go round daily picking up the dead ones.

Birds have very high blood pressure naturally and often suffer a stroke or heart seizure.  Laying problems also take quite a few birds.  They are also very good at concealing it when they are feeling unwell.

Quote from: "grannieannie"
By the way Aunty, I got the purple stuff, and the chook with the pecked vent is looking much better now!!!!

So pleased grannie.  The purple camouflages it  :roll:

xx
To much info

Started by brrian on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 02:08
by Lindeggs
xx
Please can anyone help my friend with info??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 11:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
Moulting info

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 08:49
by Oliveview
xx
need info on foxes

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 09:44
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 28 queries.