LICE

• 8 Replies

happychickens

LICE
« on: July 09, 2009, 19:53 »
Bought new hens about 6 weeks ago and the cock bird and his Mrs are cuckoo marans and are extremely lovely but have never had chickens with feathers from head to toe!  when I bought them the sussex set were clear and no sign and had a little look, but obviously not close enough because they started scratting at themselves, now all my birds now have lice and I feel terrible about it, have been using the barrier powder which I have always used in the past regularly and never had such a terrible infestation, but, after 4 days have seen some, but no great improvement and they have laid eggs around the base of the birds feathers - should I..... give them all a wash, dust and then look to see about some Johnsons spray I have been reading about, or just do the spray and see how it goes? :dry:

Vember

Re: LICE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 20:21 »
Personally I'd spray, and get rid, the spray will kill any living lice dead on impact, you will have to re spray in 7 days to get any that have just hatched :D

Sarah :D

happychickens

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 20:41 »
Does it matter that they have the eggs around the base of feathers?  will they fall off naturally once sprayed as they are pretty well on when I have tried to take just one lot off the base of feathers?  Thanks

Vember

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 20:54 »
I pulled the worst feathers out, so long as there are not too many :)

The odd one that has been left with dead eggs on has come out at next moult :)

Sarah :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 23:20 »
Sarah, I've often wondered this about one of my girls who, whilst she doesn't currently have an infestation she still has the dead egg clusters around her vent which is making pooping difficult. 

When I've plucked poultry before I've noticed the pink bit of flesh that the feather adheres to and it sometimes can be quite long, so have never tried to cut the feathers away in case I cause bleeding and had thought about pulling but am a bit scared to TBH, but how do they react (stupid question time ::)) when you have pulled their feathers out?

I know that they squawk when another hen pecks at them - do they just squawk and then get back to what they were doing?

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 23:37 »
just a quickie, with the johnsons spray do you have to part the feathers and spray directly onto skin.  nickyx

Vember

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:50 »
Hi SS

They just jump a bit but it's done so quick they hardly notice, I only ever do the odd one or two at one time :)

Nicky yes get it on the skin, it doesn't need a lot as once it touches skin it will spread over a large area :)

nzdunn

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:40 »
thanks alot sarah, when you spray the vent area is it ok if the spray gets on the vent.  nickyx

Vember

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:47 »
Yes it'll be fine :)

You will be surprised at how quick the critters bite the dust so you really don't need to go ott with the spray :D

xx
Lice

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 15:32
by farmerGiles
xx
LICE!!!!!

Started by parson on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 13:06
by Vember
xx
Ugh - Lice!!!

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 16:52
by joyfull
xx
Lice that just won't die

Started by arthriticpie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 16:42
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 36 queries.