pale eggshell

• 2 Replies

Trian chick

pale eggshell
« on: June 23, 2021, 18:31 »
A very new member. Having perused lots of forums I still have not quite found the answer. last August 2020 I acquired 4 ex-layers looking very much like ostriches! They are free range and have constant access to layers pellets plus they get wheat and soaked maize as a treat. One, Mrs White, was laying lovely brown eggs the moment she arrived 10 months ago and has done so until a few days ago. Yesterday and today she was not looking very well and was lethargic. She will eat breadcrumbs and drinks. She may just be worn out but interestingly her last two eggs had pale shells. Inside they were fine.
What are the chances of her recovery?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: pale eggshell
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 19:58 »
Ex-layers are not long lived, but if she has stopped eating that is not a good sign and could mean a problem, rather than just getting to the end.

Have you wormed the chickens?  If not that could be all that is wrong.  You need a proper wormer like Flubenvet.

Are there any symptoms other than lethargy?

Trian chick

Re: pale eggshell
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 14:08 »
She is just rather unhappy! Her comb is still a good colour, although a bit floppy. For the last week or two she has had a slightly unusually gait, one leg was lifted higher than the other. Now both move evenly although slowly. I will give her another meal of wet breadcrumbs and pellets. She has done us really well.
Years ago I had a really free range 'flock' of Old English Game fowl, which were a very different kettle of fish to these girls. Couldn't get near them but I can't get over how couthy these are. That was in another house so these present hens are on 'virgin' ground.

xx
Soft eggshell?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2009, 16:53
by pink-chicken
xx
soft eggshell

Started by polytunnelheaven on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 12:53
by kimT
xx
Thin eggshell!!

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 17:04
by Jomtie
xx
Feeding eggshell

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 18:22
by Dickie73

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.