Metpost (Fence spike) or Concrete

• 11 Replies

Seanav

Metpost (Fence spike) or Concrete
« on: March 12, 2021, 18:14 »
Hi
I need to put a fence around my plot and cant decide whether to dig a hole and put some concrete in or use a Metpost/Post spike. Site is quite windy , soil can get very damp and soggy  (theres a flood relief programme going on at the moment) .
Metpost is the more expensive option but i dont like the idea of having to dig up the concrete in 10 years when the post rots

So i suppose my question is are metposts/spikes  secure enough for an allotment environment that can be  very very windy and flood  ?

Thanks in advance

Growster...

Re: Metpost (Fence spike) or Concrete
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 07:37 »
I've used several Metposts over the years, both 3" and 4", and find them robust and of course much easier to put in!

Can your design include a right-angle or two, because that would strengthen your structure by a lot!

Also, you can get them out of the ground with some long lever, which would be very difficult with a concrete mass!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 08:44 »
Could you use concrete posts? What sort of fence do you need to have? Could it just be of pig  netting?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:06 »
we fenced our plots with round wood [treated] pointed stakes or post's we dug  a hole to let the post in then knocked it down with a sledge hammer no concrete  just braced the corners then put sheep or pig netting to the post's the fence has been put up at least ten years no probs  and if a post does rot of or gets broken all one needs to do is replace it with another wooded stake its cost effective and basically a no brainer for fencing of your plot 

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 11:16 »
You can fill the hole around a wooden post with stones and gravel and tamp them in.  Takes longer but is quite satisfying if you have a stony plot like I have and want to use the stone for summat.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 18:38 »
Concrete would not be allowed on our sites.  Double check the rules on yours before you do anything permanent!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Seanav

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 17:41 »
Thanks all , decided to go for the metpost. Concreting is allowed but a lot of broken fences on the site so I'm wondering just how long a post lasts in concrete .
Will update ,with pictures if a success

jezza

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 13:46 »
Hello if you use 24inch or 30 inch met posts they should hold, I put the posts in the sockets first then knock the lot in with a gentle pursuader (14 pound sledge hammer) usually 2 good wollaps  sink a post and socket  to soil level ,be careful with the gentle persuader I lent a neighbour a 28 pounder he lifted it and dropped it on his foot   jezza

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 06:38 »
I'm looking at getting some here for this week. To get them in (using a Birmingham Screwdriver), I position them, then just use a short 6" piece of wood stuck in the metal top, to clout the thing into the ground with a club hammer - it saves stretching too high with a heavy 'persuader'!

wighty

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 20:02 »
What's a Birmingham screwdriver' is it like an 'Irish  one'.  Postcrete is one of the products that is most in short supply at the moment and the price when it is available again is going to be  'sky high'.   We are 14th on the list from where we usually source it from.  We have spent most of today going through our timber, glass and sheet materials lists raising the prices.  Timber this year has risen 80% as the USA is buying it all up.  Our normal supplier thought he had some but the ship docked and then was told to go to the USA  as they had bought the lot at risen prices.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 06:40 »
Probably, Wighty, it's a heavy hammer...

As for timber, a chum here manages a largish timber company, and what you describe is word for word what his wife told me just last week! We have some decking on order for a chum, and - fingers crossed - we'll get it on Friday...

grinling

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 21:11 »
Might lumber yard is putting prices up, just as well I bought my wood cheap and lots of it.
Hubby now very happy with his new man cave, proved I can design a good shed  :D

xx
Crumbling concrete fence post

Started by pottylotty1 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2018, 22:51
by grinling
xx
Cost of installing concrete fence posts etc

Started by Knight Family on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 17:41
by Knight Family
xx
How do I fix fencing wires to concrete fence posts?

Started by Swing Swang on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 15:34
by savbo
xx
concrete mix

Started by noshed on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 22:56
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 50 queries.