Daytime menus...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Daytime menus...
« on: June 28, 2020, 06:07 »
It's a pleasant, quirky conundrum, to consider what one could have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but in some cases, some menus just don't stack up when followed at different times of the day!

I was reading some story recently, where the characters all had steak and eggs for breakfast...

Nooo...

But bacon at any time is fine, so are eggs, but never beef or lamb! And who wants salad for breakfast?

Any faves out there?

Christine

Re: Daytime menus...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 08:32 »
Maybe Growster doesn't come from an outdoor background in the old days where the farm kitchen fed the men for a day's hard labour. Start with a hefty breakfast, less time to stop for lunch and then a real filler up for tea. But steak and eggs does come expensive in any regime.  ;)

Can't remember that salad was a meal back on the farm mind. Meal for softies.  :lol:

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 10:12 »
From what I can gather, what we call breakfast 'only' goes back to Victorian times.  Before that, it was quite different.

If you go to a place like Fairfax House in York (when it opens again!) around Christmas, they set up a period breakfast.  It has all sorts of stuff like pies, cold meats, cheese etc plus bread rolls, toast, jam and so on.  There might be eggs, I think.  More like what we'd call a Continental Breakfast really.  Jane Austen used to have toast and jam, hot chocolate and pound cake.  Cake for breakfast!

Further back, it might have been pease pudding or some kind of porridge.  And, during my daughter's stay in Nepal, they had dhal for breakfast every morning.  Can't think many of us would associate curry with brekkie.  Although kedgeree...

Don't know when (or where) the book was set.  I've noticed US books tend to mention steak for breakfast more often.  Isn't steak cheaper over there due to farming methods?  As for when, if it's on a farm, steak might have been a cheaper option at the time.  (Like oysters very often figure in older recipes because they were a cheap way of bulking out pies.)

Apologies if that's a bit swotty...  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:00 »
What you eat depends/depended where you live/d, maybe? 
Porridge or parritch, made with oats can be eaten at any time, sweetened or salted to taste, maybe with peas and veg added sometimes.
Much the same as rice is used in other countries, but somehow rice pudding for breakfast doesn't seem right, but Kedgeree is ok?  :nowink:
Toast and jam, marmalade or honey, for breakfast, but with cheese or baked beans for lunch or tea?
I often choose a 'Full English Breakfast' for lunch or evening meal  :lol:
It's certainly weird, with little sense to it, when and what we choose to eat. Spose when people are hungry they'll eat anything available, regardless of the time of day....

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:49 »
Sadly, I am not allowed bacon because of the high salt content, but the smell of it cooking could be enough to make a veggie change their mind.
The breakfasts on my cruise holidays were always my favourite (and afternoon tea !).   Every type of hot food imaginable, including minute steaks, omelettes and pancakes while you watch, Chips if you wanted.   But I always went for cereal with natural yogurt (no milk),  all the dried and soaked fruits, and fresh as well.   Then (oh, my mouth is watering)   Croissants with apricot jam, no butter.
We'll  have to make afternoon tea a different thread.    :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 14:39 »
Maybe Growster doesn't come from an outdoor background in the old days where the farm kitchen fed the men for a day's hard labour. Start with a hefty breakfast, less time to stop for lunch and then a real filler up for tea. But steak and eggs does come expensive in any regime.  ;)

Can't remember that salad was a meal back on the farm mind. Meal for softies.  :lol:

Back in hop-picking days, we'd start around 5:30am, then work the fields and machines until around 8:30, when it would be home for porridge, fried something, etc...

Lunch was a huge meal at the farm canteen, (I usually snuck a strawberry jam sandwich out for later), then home early evening for yet more - say - cold and fried spuds...

In later years, we just took huge sandwiches with us for the morning stint, I never had beef, but some did, and the lunch was actually in a pub, because we had a year's project on!

Hefty!

Did you ever see my mum's gravy;0)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 14:43 »
From what I can gather, what we call breakfast 'only' goes back to Victorian times.  Before that, it was quite different.

If you go to a place like Fairfax House in York (when it opens again!) around Christmas, they set up a period breakfast.  It has all sorts of stuff like pies, cold meats, cheese etc plus bread rolls, toast, jam and so on.  There might be eggs, I think.  More like what we'd call a Continental Breakfast really.  Jane Austen used to have toast and jam, hot chocolate and pound cake.  Cake for breakfast!

Further back, it might have been pease pudding or some kind of porridge.  And, during my daughter's stay in Nepal, they had dhal for breakfast every morning.  Can't think many of us would associate curry with brekkie.  Although kedgeree...

Don't know when (or where) the book was set.  I've noticed US books tend to mention steak for breakfast more often.  Isn't steak cheaper over there due to farming methods?  As for when, if it's on a farm, steak might have been a cheaper option at the time.  (Like oysters very often figure in older recipes because they were a cheap way of bulking out pies.)

Apologies if that's a bit swotty...  :blush:

Kedgeree would be a winner here, but Mrs Growster is off smoked haddock at the moment...

I love Gouda/Emental etc for breakfast, and in my work days, when we got to working breakfasts, a couple of croissants with said comestibles were the bees knees! I even drank coffee back then (don't now).

Orange juice is still high on the menu as well...

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 14:47 »
What you eat depends/depended where you live/d, maybe? 
Porridge or parritch, made with oats can be eaten at any time, sweetened or salted to taste, maybe with peas and veg added sometimes.
Much the same as rice is used in other countries, but somehow rice pudding for breakfast doesn't seem right, but Kedgeree is ok?  :nowink:
Toast and jam, marmalade or honey, for breakfast, but with cheese or baked beans for lunch or tea?
I often choose a 'Full English Breakfast' for lunch or evening meal  :lol:
It's certainly weird, with little sense to it, when and what we choose to eat. Spose when people are hungry they'll eat anything available, regardless of the time of day....

But it's all about what really takes a fancy at 7:30am Mm.

I just couldn't handle a burger for instance, but when we were working on the B and Q in Southampton, I'd meet my boss at Wrotham at 5:30am, leave my car there, and we'd belt down towards the M27, and get there in time for a bacon sarni the size of Lundy Island!

So bacon is fine any time, but steak - nooo...!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 14:51 »
Sadly, I am not allowed bacon because of the high salt content, but the smell of it cooking could be enough to make a veggie change their mind.
The breakfasts on my cruise holidays were always my favourite (and afternoon tea !).   Every type of hot food imaginable, including minute steaks, omelettes and pancakes while you watch, Chips if you wanted.   But I always went for cereal with natural yogurt (no milk),  all the dried and soaked fruits, and fresh as well.   Then (oh, my mouth is watering)   Croissants with apricot jam, no butter.
We'll  have to make afternoon tea a different thread.    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to 'do' a breakfast networking club in London a few years ago, and we often met in The Hilton, or other smart-ish places, but there was plenty of all that, Mrs B!

After a slog up to town at 4:30am, park and then tube in to the venue, a huge fruity breakfast done by others was extremely welcome, but again, never a burger...

(A tincture at 11:00am was the norm, but this 'post' is for nice people, not usually the sort I had to deal with back then - except the ladies...:0)

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 48 queries.