Newcomer with Scaley Leg

• 7 Replies

westview

Newcomer with Scaley Leg
« on: July 12, 2012, 20:28 »
Hi there, I recently took on a chicken approx 1 year old to keep Barbara my last surviving exbattie company (4 years old).  I didn't want to stress Barbara out with a load of new young ladies so found an advert for a more mature bird needing a new home.  Once home and given our new girl a look over I found she had dreadful scaley leg.  I've not seen it in person before but I was in no doubt what it was.  So I immediately gave her 'Frontline' on the back of the neck and smothered her legs in vaseline.  This was last Saturday and have smothered her twice since.  She is looking a lot better and a lot of the huge mounds of scales have dropped off and she's looking nice n pink underneath.  During this time I've kept her separate from Barbara but I don't know when it's safe to integrate them??  I've 'Frontlined' Barbara too - so she is hopefully protected... could anyone help?? 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Newcomer with Scaley Leg
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 20:40 »
I think you have to be careful to clear up all the scales that have dropped off so that the mites can't re-infest the hens.

It sounds a bit early for the scales to drop off unless the hen was already molting.  Could it be that the hen had leg sores a bit like pressure sores?  My broodies had them after sitting on eggs for a few weeks.  I smothered them with vaseline every few days and the scabs fell off as you describe with nice pink underneath. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

westview

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 20:51 »
Hi there....  Not sure I'll be able to find the scabs/scales that have dropped off as their enclosure is quite big and the grass has grown so long in the past week.  I wonder if it was/is a combination of both pressure sores and scaley leg?  The scales were all very raised and she had these big wart like lumps on her toes and legs.  Plus she has what looks like these large mounds that run all the way up the back of her legs - these have not budged at all?
How long would the mites live on the floor that have if at all fallen off?  And would Barbara be immune as she has 'Frontline' in her system?
Thanks for you help - much appreciated!

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 20:57 »
It does sound as if it has been sores and scaley leg mite.  As I understand the scales should fall off when she next molts and the mites should be dead with you using frontline.  You can always use the vaseline as a preventative treatment on a regular basis. 

If you can post some pictures of the mounds other members should be able to advise you if it is scaley leg.

westview

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 21:02 »
I'll pop up tomorrow in the day light and take some photos of her and her mounds..... they do look pretty ugly!  :ohmy:

westview

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:53 »
Have managed to get a photo but for some reason no matter what I do to reduce it I keep getting message to say it's too big so can't get it loaded on site??  Will have to read through site later and try n get it on then - she's fine in herself, all settled in nicely.  I'm just a bit concerned letting her in with my other chicken just incase it's something else that is catching!

westview

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 20:43 »
Hi there - Just to let you know I've not figured out how to attach the picture yet (can't seem to get it small enuf??).  But the good news is the large growths that were running up the back of her legs, one of them has completed fallen off and the other looks like it'll be any day now.  They must of been what you said ANHBUC, some pressure sores/hard skin.  Her scales have stopped looking angry so hoping they'll all come new with her next moat.  Thank you so much for your words of advise.  All I have to do now is integrate the girls.. hmmm easier said that done I imagine - wish me luck!

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 23:35 »
That is good news.  Best to make sure it is totally healed as it could cause more hen pecking if the legs look sore when integrating.  I would also keep up the vaseline treatment as it is a good preventative measure.  Keeps their legs in good condition as well.   ;)

I use Pixresizer which you can download for free.   :D

xx
Newcomer to hens and ducklings

Started by Jonsue on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 14:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
hi newcomer: starting up poultry business need help with inf

Started by jon on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 15:31
by jon
xx
scaley leg

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 15:11
by Madrat
xx
Scaley Leg!!!

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 11:47
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.