Chicken/pet sitting business??

• 15 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Chicken/pet sitting business??
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:42 »
I'm toying with what to do with myself and the garden this year. I have a huge garden (for my area anyway) and could do soooo much with it, but dont know where to start. What does everyone think about a chicken sitting business...could take rabbits, guinea pigs etc too. I could have a few seperate pens with little individual coops in and charge a daily rate per chicken? I know I wouldnt make my millions, but I know I'm stuck for someone to have my girls if I want to go anywhere. Do you think it would be worth the effort?
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Re: Chicken/pet sitting business??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 13:07 »
I personally would welcome someone willing to 'chicken sit' (well poultry sit  :D), I do however think there are a few things to consider...  :blush:

What if you have a fox attack and hen(s) are lost? Will you be liable?
What if a hen is ill - will the owner want you to take it to the vet?
Do you have the funds available for vet visits?
Will the owner be satisfied with your decision if a hen has to be dispatched?

I don't mean to put you off but we are becoming quite a litigious country  :tongue2: and I'd hate to see a well meaning service go pear shaped.  I think you will need to ask people to sign an agreement that you are not liable for any of the above and that they will bide by your decision in worst case scenerios. 

As I say, I think it's a good idea but make sure you cover your back!  :tongue2:

Melody

2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 13:24 »
Melody, you're very right in what you're saying. I've looked at a couple of websites for pet sitting, and there's a disclaimer on each saying things such as 'even though we aim to make our coops and runs a fox proof as possible, we cannot guarantee that Mr Fox won't pay a visit. We will treat your chickens as we would our own, but cannot completely guarantee their saftey from wildlife.
Not too sure about the vet side of things, would have to give that some thought. I'd have the funds to get them treated, but would have to clear it with the owners that they'd refunded anything I paid out for their chickens care, providing (of course) it wasnt my or my familys fault the chicken needed care.  Hmmmm, tricky one. I'll have a small stock of treatments of my own anyway, and some sitters offer to worm the chooks while looking after them for an extra charge.
Any ideas are greatfully recieved. I'm only in the thinking about it stage at the moment so any input would be brilliant :)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 13:37 »
You can insure yourself (public liability) just in case. Also you would need to have the name and address of the vet for any animal to be taken if needing treatment and that you made it clear to the owner you would take the animal to the vet if needs be and they would have to pay.  Once you get paid for a service you have to cover the bases. Security with dogs etc is a serious issue as if they get out they can get hurt/hurt someone else etc etc.  It needs serious thought and is not to be entered into lightly. Another thing to look at if running a business from home is that it affects your mortgage as they can pull the rug from under you if they find out

No such thing as a simple job  :D

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 14:02 »
Im a qualified nanny and child minder, and we covered all the public liability and running a business from your home stuff at college, so I've got a bit of input about that...obviously it will be different with animals, but I'm presuming the principle is the same. Covering your own bottom is the main thing to do when starting up, before anything else, so I'll be looking into that. My sister is training with the RSPCA ao hopefully she'll be able to help with the legality of animals side. Ahh, researching it all gives me something to do other than washing anyway!! :D

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 14:09 »
Hi Carla,

There is one near me called The Hennery. You can google the name and maybe get into contact with them? Might be good to ask them questions etc and how it is going. I think they are relatively small and new to it also, so it could be a good networking contact for you.

They also have a page on FB too.
Alan

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 14:12 »
Think about the health aspects too.  You would need to make sure that if any chicken you were looking after has any diseases or red mites, lice etc, that it doesn't spread to any other chicken in your care, including your own.

Again, not trying to put you off, I sometimes think about doing something like this, but at my ae I want to step down more, not take more on!   ;) ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 14:25 »
I think a service such as this is a good one and busy people want dog creches and day care etc and we all have times when we need a chook sitter. It's just that if it is to be a business (as you say) then you have to become legit and jump through the various hoops.  A pain in the neck initially but once out the way you free yourself up to get on with what it is you want to do  :)  Once you've considered the various pros and cons you can weigh up if it's still worth doing

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 22:13 »
It sounds a great idea - I bet there's no end of people who need sitters for small animals & don't have friends or neighbours able to help out.

We have looked after dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, a parrot, chickens & ducks, tropical fish and children on an informal basis for friends and it has always been with the verbal agreement that we will look after their animal/child as we would our own.  They have always said they would expect to refund any costs incurred.  But we weren't getting paid.

No idea of the legal position if you are charging for the service.
ManicMum

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:17 »
One thing to consider... I wouldn't want to move my chooks somewhere else if I was going away.  I would want them to stay on home territory and then for someone to come in once or twice a day to collect eggs, check food and water etc.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39 »
All change today anyway folks!! I've heard back from the British Hen Welfare Trust this morning, and the want me as a foster carer for chickens that come out of the farms injured or ill, so thats what I'm going to do :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40 »
thats lovely, well done in being chosen to care for these special ladies xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40 »
A very worthwhile thing to do Carla :D

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 16:42 »
All change today anyway folks!! I've heard back from the British Hen Welfare Trust this morning, and the want me as a foster carer for chickens that come out of the farms injured or ill, so thats what I'm going to do :)

That's awesome.... very worthwhile. 

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 17:17 »
Well done - you'll have your hands full then!

xx
Help with chicken & rabbit pet-sitting

Started by mumofstig on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 22:18
by Snoop
xx
Chicken sitting on eggs

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 14:46
by orchardlady
question
My chicken is sitting laying her egg for hrs

Started by Paris on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 19:52
by rudy
xx
Chicken sitting on 11 eggs - UPDATE WITH PICS

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 23:25
by conventgirl

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 40 queries.