Chicken sitting on 11 eggs - UPDATE WITH PICS

• 8 Replies

dawninspain

« on: July 13, 2008, 16:54 »
This time last week we thought that we had lost one of our chickens - not in the hen house one night or feeding the next morning.  A day later she was spotted in a quiet part of the garden having made herself a nest under a pile of branches and twigs awaiting a bonfire. She had flapped herself over two 6 foot fences to get there! We have given her food and water within reach which she is taking. She had one brief excursion back to the chicken run to feed there and we had the chance to count 11 eggs. Her chosen site is not ideal - should we move her and the eggs now or might that stop her sitting? Or should we keep an eye out for any hatching in about 2 weeks time and move her and the chicks then?

I am assuming that we should not return mother and chicks to the hen run - the other hens had a go at her when she returned the once for feeding - I suppose a few days absence means she has lost her status in the flock - fortunately she is a stroppy thing and asserted herself. She and any chicks could live in the shed for a bit in the veg garden for a while.

This is the first time any of our hens has done this.  Is 11 eggs normal or is it on the large side?  All advice welcome.

By the way we have a cockerel so her eggs should be fertile.

Thanks Dawn

mumsy

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 17:26 »
Hi
I haven't had any experience myself,  but seemingly from reading lots of posts on here, its ok to move...I would pop her in the shed with the eggies, food & water.......then you can keep an eye on them all..........................BTW am sooo jealous :)  :)  Good Luck & look forward to the piccies when they hatch :D  :D

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 19:29 »
.....if she does go back with the others after the chicks are born I think her status will be higher.....she will have babies and they 'aint!!!!....and she will be VERY feisty!!!! :)

conventgirl

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 14:24 »
I no its not quite the same but when our duck Daisy decided to make her nest in the holly bush we left her there.  We were obviously rather concerned about the fox but she managed to stay safe.

Once the ducklings hatched she would bring them out into the garden to feed and drink but would then return her brood to the bush.

We were getting rather anxious after a while and were wondering how we were going to get her back to the scratch shed so she could be safe when one night she just brought the ducklings into the garden, had some food and drink and then proceeded to stand by the pen door.  We put a little hut, food and water into the scratch shed and when we opened the pen door for her she went straight to the scratch shed and made herself a new home.

After a month or so she wanted to get back into the main pen and her brood all followed...we had no trouble from any of the others apart from the odd peck.

Amazing creatures  :)

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 21:52 »
I suppose they're like humans in a way-when I had my babies I just wanted time to myself with them,until I felt ready to show them off properly!Motherly instinct :wink:
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

dawninspain

Update with pictures ....
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:01 »
Thanks for the replies.  We decided to leave her where she was and then move her if/when any eggs hatched.  3 weeks to day from when she began to sit  my OH heard cheeping and saw a quick flash of a chick. A day later we decided to move them into the shed so that it was easier to make sure the chick was feeding and drinking.  Picked up mum and remaining eggs (only one hatched) but no sign of chick.  Presumed that maybe it had died.  Moved mum back onto eggs in shed. Half a hour later loud cheeping heard.  Chick alive and well and in with mum.  Presume that when my OH lifted mum chick was hidden under her wing!  Left remaining eggs for a few more days but no more hatched so removed them. Cracked them open but no sign of any of the others incubated.

Chick now just under 3 weeks old.  Out and about with mum in vegetable garden - chick copies mum with everything - really cute.  Makes you realise just what chicks raised in incubators miss out on.  The mother/chick relationship is wonderful to watch. Just hope now that it turns out to be a girl. In the meantime called 'baby'.

3 Days old:

today:

Vember

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:18 »
O thats one sweet little baby

Congratulations :)

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:56 »
Aww what a wonderful story, sad that the others didn't hatch but a wonderful chick and mum! That tail is adorable!! :)
I have bought some chicks with a mum (silkies) and quite agree that the bond is wonderful. Mum and chicks are now in my big run - long story - we have one other hen with them and the relationship is fine still. Mum very much protected babies at first but they run around all over the place now while mum still keeps guard! lol The cuddles under her wings etc really were lovely to watch so can understand your enjoyment.

Really hope you have a girl too! :)

conventgirl

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 23:25 »
So adorable  :)

Watching a mother and a chick is always heart warming..am pleased one hatched out for her

x

xx
Chicken sitting on eggs

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 14:46
by orchardlady
xx
Sitting on eggs

Started by Fire2920 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 23:21
by Fire2920
exclamation
Hen sitting on eggs please help|

Started by Nickynesb on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 20:47
by orchardlady
xx
hen sitting on eggs?? what happens next??

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 13:18
by Ice

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.