Newcomer to hens and ducklings

• 6 Replies

Jonsue

« on: May 15, 2008, 14:15 »
I just wanted to say thanks to Rob and Grannie Annie who has helped me with my first steps into raising ducks and hens. If anyone out there woud like to send me some top tips I'd be very grateful.
I have 4 call ducklings and yesterday got 4 hens. I have never had poultry before so this is completely new

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 15:23 »
welcome to this mad mad world that is poultry. And welcome to the forum :D
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 15:37 »
best tip is relax and enjoy they will  let you know if they aint happy

welcome btw

peggyprice

Re: Newcomer to hens and ducklings
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 19:01 »
The first thing you have to do is learn how to upload pictures onto the forum.  That is absolutely essential.  

Once you've done that, everything else is easy (well, easy-ish), 'cause everyone here will be happy to help whatever the question might be  :)

Wish I could have ducks .... am jealous (though don't tell my girls  :wink:  )
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 22:37 »
Ahhhhh, posting at last jonsue!!!!  welcome properly now then to our little madhouse!  it was lovely meeting you both yesterday!  And what you've actually got are 4 chicks, then they will be pullets, and once they start laying they will be hens!

It's the first time I've let chicks go so young, so I hope they will be okay.  Did you put them with the ducklings in the end or in the shed?

There is lots of info availabe on here, both in the hen house and in the poultry info.  Anything you want to know, there will be loads of answers for!!!

Jonsue

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 14:26 »
Thanks to you all. The chicks are in the hen house which is situated in the chicken/duck run but they can't get out on to the ground. Will let them out in 2 weeks time as you suggested Ann.

The ducks have been wandering around the base of the hen house and both can see each other, but not touch.

The ducklings are getting so big now, their adult feathers are getting more and more each day, and they're taken on such lovely caracters. Cherry the largest of the girls is more timid, where as the boys crispy and Peking are quite adventurous. When I go to the gate they come to the gate to see what I've got and have now got so they will eat from the bowl whilst I hold it. They're desperate to get into my fish pond though, they keep peeping through the fence at the running water, although they've gt their own pond in the run.
Can't wait to see the chicks out and about with the ducklings.
Do anyone know where I can purchase straw and duck/chick pellets from in the Friskney, Boston area?

Thx. Jonsue

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 14:34 »
Quote from: "Jonsue"
Thanks to you all. The chicks are in the hen house which is situated in the chicken/duck run but they can't get out on to the ground. Will let them out in 2 weeks time as you suggested Ann.

The ducks have been wandering around the base of the hen house and both can see each other, but not touch.

The ducklings are getting so big now, their adult feathers are getting more and more each day, and they're taken on such lovely caracters. Cherry the largest of the girls is more timid, where as the boys crispy and Peking are quite adventurous. When I go to the gate they come to the gate to see what I've got and have now got so they will eat from the bowl whilst I hold it. They're desperate to get into my fish pond though, they keep peeping through the fence at the running water, although they've gt their own pond in the run.
Can't wait to see the chicks out and about with the ducklings.
Do anyone know where I can purchase straw and duck/chick pellets from in the Friskney, Boston area?

Thx. Jonsue

Brian said 2 weeks, not me!  I wouldn't keep them that lon, if you think they are happy, let em out!

xx
hens hatching ducklings??

Started by louiseb22 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 12, 2012, 09:24
by Sassy
xx
Newcomer with Scaley Leg

Started by westview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 23:35
by ANHBUC
xx
hi newcomer: starting up poultry business need help with inf

Started by jon on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 15:31
by jon
xx
ducklings need to go outside!

Started by ssatt44 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 17:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.