Had a great day with Bee's

• 29 Replies

Pol

• Pauline
Had a great day with Bee's
« on: April 02, 2011, 22:51 »
I have had a lovely day with a beekeeper and his bee's now I am hooked, going to my first beekeeping meeting in 3 weeks time, now I am look for an hive or for OH to make me one and yep he is hooked too :D :D :D
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Chrysalis

Re: Had a great day with Bee's
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 22:54 »
Oh I am sooo jealous.   :tongue2:My OH and I want bees, but the local course was overbooked again and they only run it once a year... you'd think with such over-subscription the local beekeepers would put two or three courses on, but hey! This is Staffordshire and we don't do change  ;)

Keep us posted as to your endeavours, C

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 23:42 »
I have been looking for a course for weeks and waiting for them to get back to me, so till they get back to me I have been asking the others on the allotments if they would mind if I put a bee hive on my allotments after a have been on a course and Tony one of the new allotment holder said he had a friend who had been a beekeeper for over 40 years and he would love talking about bee's so I asked if he would mind taking to me about beekeeper so this morning I give Eric a call at about 10.00 am and he said he was I free today so we went to look at the bee's and all his hive  :D wow  :D he has them in his garden on a golf course at a farm and in friends garden, It was 5.00pm when we got home, he is taking us to the meeting in 3 weeks time and say he will be able to give us the bee's to start our hive when we are ready :D :D

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 18:17 »
is it the rotherham bee keepers assosiation meeting Pol? if it is i went to the last one, they are every 3rd wednesday in the month and they were really helpful as like you i am wanting to keep bees and am in the process of gathering information about how to look after them

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 22:09 »
Hi Massa,
Yes its the Rotherham one, will you be going to the next meeting?

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06 »
yeah i should be! they are also opening up their apiary to the public who have an intrest in keeping bees this saturday. I will be going to that, its in thrybergh country park at 10am. Im sure that it will be ok to put it on an open forum as it is advertised to the public already.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:19 »
I am just up the road from Thrybergh Country Park. We may pop in before we go to Lincolnshire to do some bee shopping at Thonre's :D  just looking

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:05 »
i was looking at the thornes catalogue they do some starter packs that look good but they can be pricey, they sell alot of second hand stuff at the bee keepers assosiation so it may be best to look there before you buy anything.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 21:51 »
yes it is abit pricey, we are out that way on Sat with friend so going for a look. Eric the beekeeper I was with on Sat makes his own he is going to give the plans to my OH for him to make ours :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 22:08 »
yes it is abit pricey, we are out that way on Sat with friend so going for a look. Eric the beekeeper I was with on Sat makes his own he is going to give the plans to my OH for him to make ours :D

Pol you might like to take a look at these websites www.biobees.com the top bar hive looks quite easy to make.  Click on the BBC Life in a cottage garden with Carol Klein link.

Here is a link to download free instructions for making a top bar hive www.lulu.com/product/ebook/how-to-build-a-top-bar-hive/6288193 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41 »
Thanks ANHBUC, I did watched Carol Klein not sure if I am going with top bar or the Langstroth, I do like the Langstroth

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 09:06 »
I looked into the top bar hive's as they are cheaper to make and and provide a more natural environment for the bee's (there is a lot of information about these if you search the barefoot beekeeper) but i have been advised not to start with these as a beginer due to them being more difficult to manage. National bee hives seem to be the most popular and the one recomended by most.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 11:27 »
Thanks ANHBUC, I did watched Carol Klein not sure if I am going with top bar or the Langstroth, I do like the Langstroth

Keep us up to date on how you are doing.  This will probably be my next project but am hoping to move house this year so will take the time to investigate and read others experiences.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 22:26 »

Keep us up to date on how you are doing.  This will probably be my next project but am hoping to move house this year so will take the time to investigate and read others experiences.

I will ANHBUC

amckeen

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 12:26 »
I have just received a budget starter kit from Thornes that includes a full National hive (with frames and wax); tunic and hood; gloves; smoker (with 2 cartridges); hive tool; and feed bucket for £200.  The hive is 'second' quality but I spotted no problems with it when building it up on Thursday (I thought it was good to construct it so I got a feel for how a hive is put together).

£200 is a lot less than the cost of the parts as the 'full' quality hives alone are more than that.  The only niggle was the delivery time as it was almost 2 months from when I ordered it, and the 'bees on a budget' kits are only available online.

I did a starter course last year, being lucky enough to get on via a lottery draw at the association, and now need to get my apiary area enclosed on the allotment before hopefully getting the bees in the next month or two.

It is a fascinating addiction even before getting the bees so good luck with it all.

xx
What a great vet

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 15:07
by composthappens
xx
Hammy's Great Adventure

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

48 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 10:44
by Debz

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.