Hammy's Great Adventure

• 48 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Hammy's Great Adventure
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:36 »
Went into the garden to see what was attracting so much attention from the cats...

A beautiful little hamster, jet black long fur.

He's now in the deep, solid-sided washing basket with some water and cut up apple whilst I try and find his owner. Poor little thing was bravely waving his paws and growling at the cat before attempting to waddle away at his best speed...

I'd post a photo but I think he's had enough shocks for a lifetime, never mind a camera flash.

I suspect he'll be happy to go home - if I can find where he's come from. Can't be too far away.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Hammy's Great Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 13:31 »
Aww poor little thing!  What a strange thing to find in the garden though John!   ???

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 14:26 »
If nobody claims him (just leafleted and door knocked locally) then Cara thinks she can home him. I can't keep him safely with 5 cats (although Pixie ran in terror from him)

He's very cute and not worried by people.

Chap I spoke to said someone might have just 'let him go' - poor thing wouldn't survive long outdoors.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 15:27 »
I hope nobody would be cruel enough to just 'let him go'  >:( a freecycle or cornershop ad would have found him a new home.

Hope he get's sorted soon  :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 16:17 »
I hope nobody would be cruel enough to just 'let him go'  >:( a freecycle or cornershop ad would have found him a new home.

Hope he get's sorted soon  :)

Ah but people do let pets loose when they can't be bothered any more, not just hamsters. I am involved with a rescue and it's surprising how often a well behaved , cared for pedigree lab is found wandering with no ID and owners never found! Also rabbits, turtles and any other "fad" pet.

Saying this though, hamsters are very good escape artists!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 23:53 »
Despite door knocking and leafleting around, nobody has claimed Hammy.  I shredded some paper and put it in the basket with a couple of loo roll inners for him and some crumbled weetabix.

It brought a lump to my throat when I saw him. There's this little black thing on his back legs waving his paws and snarling at three cats who backed off. Then he turned and waddled off at his top speed, a slow walking pace.

I know it's anthropomorphic, but he seemed so courageous.

Of course, the tubby he might be a mum to be.

If we don't hear in the morning, Cara is going to have him to home. She's better geared to cope with him.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 20:06 »
Did you find his owners John, Or has he been lucky enough to go to live with Cara?  :)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 20:19 »
He/she is travelling to Batley at this moment to join the menagerie! Cara has he/she safely in a kitten travelling box and has set up a nice new hamster cage for he/she on arrival. Pictures will follow but we didn't want to alarm him/her any more with the flash. :D :D :D. No sign of an owner at all. The vet is going to determine the sex.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 21:21 »
Hammy is safely tucked up in the spare room having a good explore of the cage and tucking into dinner. I have taken a photo, but it isn't too great as I didn't want to use the flash in case it was too scary. I'm popping Hammy to the vets in the morning just to check sex and make sure that I'm not going to wake up to a litter of little ones in a week or so!
WPM$4B58.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:55 »
aarh I love hamsters  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56 »
Hammée is a little girl  :wub: Thankfully not a pregnant little girl  :D This morning she had taken bedding into the big hiding tube I got her and seems very content. I was worried about handling her too much so soon, but she will happily climb onto an outstretched palm and spent ages sniffing my hand before I took her to the vets. Still no one has claimed her so now it is tough luck - she's my little baba  :tongue2:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20 »
we had one of those plastic balls for our sons hamster and it used to take great delight in chasing one of the dogs (Maxwell) or if the dog was asleep it used to run at full pelt into maxwells nose to wake him up  :lol:

Pretty Chick

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 17:59 »
I'm so glad she's found a good home  :happy:.

we had one of those plastic balls for our sons hamster and it used to take great delight in chasing one of the dogs (Maxwell) or if the dog was asleep it used to run at full pelt into maxwells nose to wake him up  :lol:

When we put our hamster (Sammy) into his running ball, he heads straight for our dogs Toby and Alfie  :lol: :lol: :lol:.
All lives are precious.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 18:46 »
I must admit I didn't expect Hammy to survive the night after her run in with the cats. I couldn't see any physical damage but expected the shock would do it. She really is a cute little thing and we were overjoyed to see her scuttling around on Sunday morning.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 19:12 »
I don't think she will be getting a running ball - I have images of her in it and seven cats following behind!!! I've set her up on a high shelf and made it so the cats can't jump up there to her as although the cage is secure I doubt cats watching her 24 hours a day would be good for her  :unsure: I still can't believe someone abandoned her  :( >:( If she was lost by now the owner would surely have claimed her with all the door knocking and fliers. Some people are just evil  :mad:

xx
Effie Cat's adventure

Started by sunshineband on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post October 24, 2013, 07:13
by allotmentann
xx
Had a great day with Bee's

Started by Pol on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:32
by kevinp
xx
What a great vet

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 15:07
by composthappens

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.