RIP Charity & Noisy Hens in the Morning

• 3 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
RIP Charity & Noisy Hens in the Morning
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:00 »
We lost our last little ex-batt yesterday.  She'd had peritonitis a couple of months ago which we'd treated successfully, but she got it again and we thought it would be unfair to put her through medication again to give her just another few weeks each time so decided to have her put to sleep.

Very sad - we started with 4 ex-batts and lost three of them within about a year, but Charity kept on going.

My other point is how noisy our hens have become in the mornings.  From about 6 onwards they make all sorts of noises to be let out of their run.  It's driving us nuts.  I don't want to have to shut them in their house at night as being summer I'd like them to get up when it's light rather than when we roll out of bed, but thinking I may have no choice; I can't see the neighbours appreciating it!

Do yours do the same?  By getting up and giving in to letting them out, I fear they're winning and will only continue, but I don't want to start a war with the neighbours either...

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: RIP Charity & Noisy Hens in the Morning
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11 »
Ours are shut in overnight and are let out when we get up - they seem to be quite happy with this and it does help to keep the morning chatter a bit muted until a reasonable time of the day. 

As sunrise gets earlier, so will the chickens.....

It might be worth speaking to the neighbours, though, as they may either not hear it as clearly as you fear or they may actually like the noise.
ManicMum

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 18:46 »
We lock ours up at night at about 7.30/8.00 and they are fine with it.  We usually let them out from 6.30 onwards depending what time we get up.  They are noisy, but not overly so and I love their little chats.  I would agree with MM and ask your neighbours.  Unless you live very close, they probeably can't hear it like you can.  It's a bit like when your children play up in a restaurant/supermarket and you think it is the loudest thing when usually other people are deaf to it. ;)

brownysfp

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 21:30 »
Unfortunately it's getting earlier as it gets lighter. They're let out at seven at the moment but the roos will have been yelling for a couple of hours. Fortunately their quarters are a long way from the house and we have no neighbours. Three of the four boys are very vocal, only the Brahma is quiet, but once they're released they settle down quick enough.
Veteran of the Predator Wars

xx
Noisy chickens on a morning

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 08:36
by SamT
xx
noisy hens

Started by prettychick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 21:28
by bramford
xx
Noisy Hens

Started by Tessa on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 10:23
by Lost in France
xx
noisy hens

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post January 03, 2008, 15:54
by sue.hole

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.