styrofoam

• 8 Replies

zoe96

styrofoam
« on: October 19, 2011, 00:05 »
Hi There

New to this garden site  :) so my question is l am in the process of building a base for my green houses 6 foot x 10 foot two of them.

l have read in a book that its a good ldea to put sheets of styrofoam two foot deep around the outside edge of the greenhouse to stop the cold soil comming through into the greenhouse soil.

ls this safe to do would any chemcials leach from the styrofoam into my soil?
Has anybody done this before?

Many Thanks

zoee

Paul Plots

Re: styrofoam
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 00:25 »
Personally I'd be surprised if there is any problem with this at all.

Perhaps someone knows better?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

zoe96

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46 »
Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply , l can't find anything that says its not a good ldea but also can't find anybody that has done this either!

Zoee

stompy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:56 »
I have never heard of this before,
I wouldn't bother, the inside temps are effected far far greater by radiant heat from the air.

To make a difference earliy/late in the season use bubble wrap to insulate the glass, as for heat transfere through soil in a horizontal way i don't think it will make even 1dgr of difference.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:34 »
I agree with Stompy (it appears to be a "solution" to a problem which doesn't actually exist.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 13:32 »
We've used styrofoam as a temporary measure in the past in the cold frame, but of temporary = removable.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 14:49 »
If you're still keen on using foam, look at this first for the R factors of plain styrofoam vs rigid insulating styrofoam. You'll see that styrofoam has a very low insulating factor due to its low density. True insulating styrofoam has well over double the R factor, and often more.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/green-basics/rigid-foam-insulation

If you want to go to the trouble of insulating, you might want to do a good job versus what is only cheap and less effective. You'll also find that the building foam takes work to break it down, whereas styrofoam will crumble for any reason.

zoe96

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59 »
Thanks Trillium and to all the other posts :)

l think now l will not bother it seems to do it right l would need to spend a bit more than l havd planed and would think there are much easier and cheaper way to keep the heat in.

Thanks again

Zoeee

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 22:47 »
Thanks Trillium and to all the other posts :)

l think now l will not bother it seems to do it right l would need to spend a bit more than l havd planed and would think there are much easier and cheaper way to keep the heat in.

Thanks again

Zoeee

A good decision (in my humble and all that...). Here's wishing you warmth where you want it.  ;)

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 37 queries.