cheapest way to erect greenhouse standing

• 7 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
cheapest way to erect greenhouse standing
« on: October 09, 2011, 20:37 »
Hi there i finally managed to get hold of a greenhouse :) :)

What i was wondering is does it need to go on concrete or slabs? I have grass there at the mo and just wonded if there was a cheaper just effective way of creating something to lay greenhouse on to?? :) :)

Cheers ;)
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cheapest way to erect greenhouse standing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 22:50 »
you can fix it to fence posts,
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=2553.msg26511#msg26511

but don't know if that would work out any cheaper, with the price of posts nowadays :ohmy:

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 23:12 »
My two sit on bricks but they lie on soil, if you know what I mean.   Up the centre is a slabbed path. It seems to work just fine. Some don't have slabs at all just pounded earth from walking up and down a lot.

I have one greenhouse laid on slabs but brambles have come up through it despite it being mortared up  :(  At least the ones with the soil inside makes it easy to weed when some do put in an appearance  :D

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 23:40 »
My two sit on bricks but they lie on soil, if you know what I mean.   Up the centre is a slabbed path. It seems to work just fine. Some don't have slabs at all just pounded earth from walking up and down a lot.

I have one greenhouse laid on slabs but brambles have come up through it despite it being mortared up  :(  At least the ones with the soil inside makes it easy to weed when some do put in an appearance  :D

Sounds a good option but im not really sure what you mean by sit on bricks but lie on soil.
Does that mean you put bricks in soil to ground level then sit the greenhouse on the bricks leaving the centre grass or gravel?
Cheers
mike

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:54 »
and what is actually holding the greenhouse down if it's just sitting on bricks looselaid on the soil.?

I have a levelled row of loose bricks laid on the soil, then on top is a baseframe of 3x3in timber. The greenhouse frame is fixed to the wood, and the wood is held down with angle iron driven deep into the soil and screwed into the wood at the corners and an extra on each long side of the frame.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:08 »
I used concrete blocks laid on sand in a shallow trench in the soil, on their 100mm edge but you could lay them on the 220mm edge with concrete screws to hold the greenhouse base to them. Seems v secure

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:56 »
My 10x8 greenhouse sits on bricks which are just laid on the soil, but it is also shielded by the big shed and hardly moves at all with the weight of the glass.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 00:34 »
I didn't lay these greenhouses, I inherited them when I moved house. They seem to be held down with screws into the brick foundation via holes in the aluminium greenhouse frame. The inside of the greenhouse is soil with a slabbed path in the centre.

xx
Greenhouse

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 17:59
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
6x4 greenhouse

Started by Spana on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 17:49
by izzy
xx
Greenhouse

Started by sloegin on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 21:56
by sloegin
xx
my new greenhouse

Started by new_2_veg on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 16:58
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 30 queries.