raised beds what to fill with???

• 9 Replies

global jamie

raised beds what to fill with???
« on: October 03, 2011, 21:01 »
hi all new the forum so please bear with me
i have just taken on an over grown allotment which is 90 feet long and 45 feet wide , i plan on going the raised bed route because i have access to plenty of timber to make them with and also i can get fresh compost by the ton for next to nothing .
will it be ok to fill the beds with just compost ? or will it have to be mixed with topsoil?
any suggestions much apprecated
cheers jamie  ??? :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: raised beds what to fill with???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 21:29 »
You could put in a layer of compost .... after digging the soil inside the raised bed area, this will raise it by a good few inches. Then each year as you add your home made compost from the heap, you will over time fill the beds up to the top of the wood.

global jamie

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 15:29 »
after digging the beds first could i not then fill them to the top with the compost that i can get by the trailer load :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 16:13 »
I can see the temptation but you can actually have too much of a good thing; pure manure/compost might suit a few crops very well but doesn't have the same properties as a fertile loam (in particular it lacks mineral particles, which means you will be continually topping it up, and if you don't it would eventually completely disappear!  :ohmy:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 21:05 »
This fellow put in straight, aged compost into his beds and has had great success. But I'm sure from time to time that he adds things like some lime, manure, etc.

kFCBWWYp_CY

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 21:18 »
What's wrong with the soil on your allotment that you would want to add so much to it?  Just because you have a raised bed it doesn't mean that you need to fill it to the top. 
Cheese makes everything better.

global jamie

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 21:28 »
we have had to move allotment sites after years of battling with courts and land owners, the site we have moved to is is where there usded to stand a moultings
the ground is solid clay and gets very water logged in winter, i have sprayed the patch with roundup and next week i will rotervate the whole plot and start making the beds ,

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 21:35 »
If it's clay soil then sharp sand along with lots of compost will help break it up.  Clay soil is surprisingly high in nutrients.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 19:25 »
We have built plank edged beds at our plot, because they are easy to manage for me and the paths are a safe walking surface.

As the soil is so stony, I have taken bubkets and buckets out of each bed (1.2m by 2.4m), so much that some were almost sunken beds, not raised beds.

It was a good starting point, and 18m later, I have dug in several cubic metres of compost to beds that are going to have roots in them,  and a small amount of manure to the potato ones and bean/pea/courgette ones too.

Gradually building up, but it'll take a while.

Plenty to eat though  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 16:30 »
When you've made your beds, you can dig out the top soil from the paths around the bed and add this to the bed.
Wood chip can then be put on the paths.
This will not only raise the level in the beds but will lower the level in the paths which will help drain the site.
If the beds are in line you could also put a couple of drains across your plot under your paths.

xx
More raised beds!

Started by EddieJ on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 21:35
by EddieJ
xx
raised beds

Started by dustcartkev on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 19:18
by Trillium
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Nic on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 14:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Raised Beds

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 14:23
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 37 queries.